eBay tax reporting changes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Apr 12, 2021.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

My comments were very general, and had nothing to do with the coins segment in particular.

Great . . . after all the buyers stop looking there because all that's left for sellers are the heavyweights that already have their own sites, eBay can have all the increased fees they want on lower gross sales . . . good luck to them.

It takes time to kill a virtual monopoly, especially doing it one bad decision at a time . . . but they will succeed.

Vess1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They've been doing their best to kill it with dumb decisions since day one and failed every time. The idea is too good, the name is too well known it's not going anyway. It's an international multi billion dollar company its here to stay. Theyve done over 10 billion for several years and now they get part of the payment fee too going forward.

I don't have to like all the changes theyve made to understand that the business is more than sound and will be here for a long long time.

4. ToughCOINS

Just like Woolworth's, General Foods, Oldsmobile, etc.

imrich and -jeffB like this.
  5. baseball21

Completely different. eBay gets their inventory for free. Sellers assume the cost of stocking it, they also dont have manufacturing costs

As a side note General Foods is still around it merged into Kraft foods and was just a name change

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Of course back when they OWNED Paypal they got all of it.

Right they aren't dummy headquarters they're real headquarters which allows them to get taxed at the lower corporate rate set by those companies and not the high US rate.

7. baseball21

Of course, that is one of the few things they probably didnt have control over. One of their biggest investors wanted paypal split off knowing ebay was holding it back and got his way.

8. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I'm sure there are legitimate reasons that some US companies set up HQs overseas, but I was referring to the loophole exploitation to which Conder is referring. They are "Real" HQs in a legal sense. But, in a lot of cases they amount to nothing more than and empty office and a PO Box. These are US based companies that operate in the US and set up HQs elsewhere in order to pay less in corporate taxes. And it all amounts to a LOT of money.

This is a problem, and everybody knows that it is a problem. But, instead of fixing these loopholes, they go after people putting their used stuff on Ebay. Not sure about you, but I see blatant indications of big money lobbyist influence in this rational. (Another thing that is a problem, that everybody knows is a problem, but that we seem unmotivated to fix for some reason)

Vess1 likes this.
  9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

What I find the most interesting, without trying to get too political, is that if an elected official or employee at the state level, (at least in Illinois after the crack down and new focus on ethics statewide,) is caught taking a bribe, no matter how small, you face JAIL TIME!! PRISON!! $1000? $200? You're getting fired and indicted here as it should be. It's the only way the system can work.

At the federal level, good ole boys club, we have lobbyists and politicians becoming multi-millionaires on low six figure salaries. Society would say, "that's not ok either" BUT there's no level of oversight beyond that SOOO they do as they please and that has become acceptable. The only recourse is to hopefully have a fair election system to vote them out. ( If we still have equally run/ fair elections across the entire country which I find highly doubtful as we already see what no oversight leads to. ) No term limits and endless lobbyists = dysfunctional government forever. Thinking a new election will solve anything is like performing a bodily function into the wind.

imrich and Cherd like this.
  10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

It's call corporatocracy. They are in the process of killing the little fishes. Taxes and regulations kill small business and start-up.

Maybe instead of voting for people to protect our feelings, we should have voted more for protection of our wallets. I don't see anyone looking out for Joe the Plumber and his stay at home wife that sells crafts on eBay. It's going to take a lot more than higher taxes to right this ship.

I was over the $600 limit by January 2, 2022. I started accounting for inflation a couple months ago by charging for shipping. All items I sold used to be free ship. Since Jan. 1, all best offers now have a lower percentage cap to pay taxes. Let's Go Landon!

Cherd likes this.
  11. ToughCOINS

Big deal. Driving away all of their highest margin low profile sellers, and stringing out their future with lower margin major players signals the death knell for eBay. Once everyone figures out that the great deals on eBay have evaporated, the same will happen to their buyers.

I don’t know anyone who surfs eBay more today than they used to, and that declining trend will continue.

imrich likes this.
  12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Quite the contrary. Its the little fish that have always paid the bills. They could make far more money closing a few loopholes for the big fish but the big fish control the rule-makers so we are screwed.

serafino likes this.
  13. baseball21

They arent overall. Like I said several times the coin category acts very differently than the rest of ebay and is insignificant.

Well just because your friend base is leaving doesnt mean the world is. eBay isn't going anywhere. Again theres a difference between disliking polices (which pretty much every small seller should there) and just saying something will fail because you dont like it.

14. ToughCOINS

It matters not who my friends are, or how diverse the goods are that they seek. Time will tell you that my logic is sound.

15. baseball21

:rolleyes: Do you always just say something will fail you dont like and hope after enough time it will become true?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2022
  16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Of course time will tell, but eBay is a huge marketplace for everything and anything. Nobody comes even close to being what they are.

17. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

But it is tax on profits earned on business conducted outside the physical boundaries of the US we are talking about.

18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

FYI:
    What percent of taxes are paid by the top 10%?
    The top 10 percent of earners bore responsibility for over 71 percent of all income taxes paid and the top 25 percent paid 87 percent of all income taxes. Both of those figures represent an increased tax share compared to 2017.

bradgator2 likes this.
  19. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Many have turned to selling on facebook. Last week I received an message from facebook that in 2022 they will be asking for social security numbers when people sell on facebook. Don't have all of the details.

20. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Thats what you want to do. Give your SSN to the most intrusive entity out there.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So you apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and give them that not your SS#

jafo50 and imrich like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted