Ebay...Still a Cherrypickers Paradise 2017'

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Larry Pelf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

On the bright side, as an MS65RB with that toning, you'll still make a profit. Worth at least $150, maybe up to $250 with that color. Still a decent pick.

Tater, Paul M. and Camreno like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Owle

Owle Junior Member

The attorney could try to get the PCGS records that they will not share with anyone on the outside, plus there are confidentiality requirements with all employees.

And what would have happened if the owner said that it was for many years a prized heirloom in a family collection instead of a one off from noted juiced image experts GS??

And then we have those on this site who always say it is completely irrelevant what a dealer or collector paid for an item as to its sale price, and "a deal is a deal"? So if PCGS messed up and there is any indication they intended to grade it as a proof it is totally irrelevant what the original guy paid. What happened to their software that the head of NGC has spoken about alerting management when a rare coin anomaly pops up?

Paul M. likes this.
  4. robec

robec Junior Member

Are we suppose to lie to you to protect your feelings? The good part is that you aren't out anything. It's a pretty coin worth about double what you paid. It's just not an MPL, the vast majority aren't.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the graders. I think it's an input error by whomever keyed in the information. These mistakes happen with all grading companies.

I'll bet if you send it back in they would correct their error without any charge.

deefree, Stevearino, Paul M. and 6 others like this.
  5. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Jeeze.

I Take a break from coins for awhile and this is the first thread that pops up when I come back.

Right from the start I figured this was fishy. As an avid hunter of a matte proof cherry pick, I could see right away op's coin was not a matte proof. Just because you see grainy surfaces and some color doesnt mean matte proof. And @robec is right, no markers, no flat squared rim, it is a business strike.

I wouldnt trust GSC for anything, and even with the kind of business they are, they would never let a real 1909 VDB mpl just slip by.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Dennis Misiak

Dennis Misiak Member

Great pick up! and kudos to you since it was GSC! GSC has one of the best coin photographers in the business.....totally manipulates light sourcing and angles to deceive the buyer. What looks like a great coin in the pic, i.e.Ebay photo, does not even come close to look the same when the buyer receives the coin....just look at their Ebay negative feedback. Also, on Ebay notice the fact that you cannot zoom in on the picture to analyze the details. Not exactly above board when it comes to business ethics. One again, great rip!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I take it you didn't read the thread - or even the other posts on this page - and are unaware that it's not a Proof?

8. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Man, talk about having the wind taken out of your sails! A $40,000 mistake? PCGS says GOTCHA! The old banana in the tailpipe trick. Having the rug pulled out from under you..... :sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

Seriously though, i think its crap that we all KNOW, The mighty PCGS will blame mechanical error for this. How many times can they play that card before someone says wait a minute, YOU ALWAYS SAY THAT?
    I would too, if i was on the hook for 40 Gs. Whaddya expect them to say, oh my bad, lemme cut you a check for, $39,000. Is that fair? Just dont cash it 'til next thursday, we need about 600 more submissions, so we dont go negative in our account. Cool?:jimlad:

The whole thing reminds me of this-

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Tater, Paul M., eddiespin and 2 others like this.
  9. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Hmmm, send it for crossover to NGC and see what they have to say. If it comes back a proof, everyone on this forum, send a contribution to the poster to help cover NGC crossover costs. I notice that GSC didn't even list it as a VDB on eBay and it sold for $56. Great purchase.

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

edit will repost. It still made my day!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  11. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

The heart of the guarantee vs. mechanical matter is simply "was there a clerical mistake or a grader mistake?"

If the grader and finalizer agreed the coin was a PR65 then PCGS should be on the hook for a payout. Again, what the coin cost, or its source, is irrelevant to the guarantee.

If graders intended it to be recorded as an MS65 but it was keyed into their database incorrectly then it is a mechanical error they will fix for free. There will be no recompense.

The latter is the more likely case, IMO. At least two world class graders were involved and they would not make such a huge, blatant blunder.

It is not unheard of for companies to go beyond the limits of their obligation for the sake of good will, company reputation, bad press, etc. If pressured PCGS might find a way to make the owner a little happier. But don't count on it.
    Lance.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

True that.

Larry Pelf likes this.
  13. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Umm... 99.9% positive. They sell so many coins that of course there will be negatives. Also, their pictures are "clickable" in the description for bigger views. I've gotten some of my best coins from them, and they are always as pictured.

14. SuperDave

We'll never know what actually happened inside their building unless somebody quits and blows the whistle. What is certain is that PCGS has grounds - under the rules as they wrote them - to stand their ground, call it an administrative error, and refuse compensation beyond correcting the clerical malfunction. It would be pleasant if they call this a good time to "do the right thing" and make some sort of financial concession to the customer who went from winning the lottery to having the ticket taken from him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Paul M. and Curtisimo like this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Haha! This comment wins.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for the OP. If I was jumping for joy over having accidentally found this coin, I'd be devastated to discover it wasn't. Devastated beyond words...

TypeCoin971793 and jwitten like this.
  17. SuperDave

I'm hoping he'll just keep his mouth shut, because his administrative section is pathetic by comparison to theirs. What I wouldn't give for a green light to fix NGC's administrative problems....then again, they could have just two people doing the work of seven. Like PCGS almost certainly is, but at least they seem to have two better people.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Really Dave? Cuz my experience is 180 degrees opposite of that. NGC has great admin people.

That said, I have seen NGC staff give attitude to show submitters who arrive at NGC's table unprepared.

19. SuperDave

My evidence is admittedly anecdotal, but it sure seems like I've spent an order of magnitude more time discussing NGC label errors over the last dozen years or so than PCGS'.

20. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

I still believe hes from GSC, I mean how many of yall went to look at their auctions after this thread? I know I sure did lol.

Paul M., Larry Pelf and ddddd like this.
  21. robec

robec Junior Member

I still have a few of those. I sent in two 1999-S silver proof sets to be graded.

Virtually every quarter and half dollar is mislabeled. Both halves say Connecticut, one Pennsylvania quarter is correct while the other says fifty cents. Both Georgia's say New Jersey. Both Connecticut's say Georgia. One New Jersey's says Pennsylvania, the other says fifty cents. Both Delaware's are correct, yay!

deefree, Stevearino, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted