Ebay...Still a Cherrypickers Paradise 2017'

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Larry Pelf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Nah if these threads didn't pop up and then the questions regarding whether or not it really is a proof I'm sure OP could have consigned it and sold it with little fanfare. Tons of people with too much money buy slabs without really looking at the coin every day. Would someone eventually be upset though, yeah sure probably. But that's when they approach PCGS to make it right under a guarantee. That person who paid the large sum for the coin would have a lot more sway with PCGS than OP who sent the coin in for grading in getting that payout if the coin is mislabeled.

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

After their last earnings report I bet he thinks things he would never publicly post

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I don't follow the stock and its filings. Was ist los?

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm not an expert at all, I thought I could see that marker on the zoomed in tru views.

6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

That's what I wonder. If they contacted OP and asked him to pay more for the proof value and he did, that would potentially make things more interesting if the coin isn't a proof.

Paul M. and Endeavor like this.
  7. Nathan401

I just really want it to be true. Haha

C-B-D and Kentucky like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Was record earnings including spaces NGC used to dominate. Went up about 25% upon their release.

9. Nathan401

This makes sense. I see no way that PCGS pays the OP anything more than what he paid for the cert.

Endeavor likes this.
  10. robec

robec Junior Member

There are no curved wisp like scratches coming from the nose.
    There is no crescent shaped gouge after the M

The scratch you see coming off the B in the new coin is not curved and in a different place than the VDB MPL.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

deefree, Paul M. and eddiespin like this.
  11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I think Ikeigwin hit the nail on the head at CU:

12. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

You can't, really.

If it were my coin I'd probably turn the matter over to an attorney to argue the case.
    Lance.

Paul M. and eddiespin like this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

For me, this one's the killer case. The only way it could be a "second" VDB obverse die is if it were the first one, because there are both VDB and non-VDB from this (upper examples) obverse die, plus a late one for the non-VDB discovered a few years back. Not likely a new "first VDB die" would have escaped attention all this time. It is pretty though.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Larry Pelf

Larry Pelf Active Member

WOW...IM SPEECHLESS. ..♡♡♡♡♡

That's for all the kind words and to all the "Na Sayers" I know this is a too good to be true story but when your a God fearing man you get Blessing's. ...And to you guys that think Mr Hall don't have a Professional team you have officially lost you'll mind...This coin went through a panel of graders not just one person also my photos are from in a coin flip so go figure. RIM...!!!!!
    Also, I have No Affiliation with GSC and the guy that said their name must be the guy I talked to when I called down there...The coin will never be forsale so get Out Of You'll Feelings...Anyway, for the rest of you living in fear this site is called Coin Talk so why would I join if I had nothing to talk about...???? Also it's called being Blessed not Lucky...YIS....LP....!!!!!!!!

P.S.
    I WILL NOT POST ON HERE AGAIN FOR THE INTEREST OF MY FAVORITE PART OF THE COIN WORLD...Having Fun With My Coins...!!!!!

15. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

@Larry Pelf : One post and then disappearing because many/most of us don't believe it's actually a proof. That doesn't seem like you care too much about the truth of your coins. If it is indeed a proof, congrats.

But, sadly, I'm 95%+ certain from the PCGS photos and the lack of diagnostics that others have mentioned here, you have a business strike coin not a matte proof. No intervention (blessings?) of a deity will change facts. PCGS isn't infallible...not even close!

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  16. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I'm agreeing with you,I don't see the markers. I figured noone posted some zoomed in photos yet so I will and everyone can judge for themselves.
    I don't see them.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Hey! HEY! Don't you know the thought police are around to nip that kinda talk in the bud? NIP IT!
    [​IMG]

Paul M. likes this.
  19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Why not? You should be glad that you're getting some decent information about your coins here. It's a pretty good indication that you'd be able to get more such info in the future. What if you were looking to buy this as a proof? Would you want to shut out voices urging caution just because it's not as fun as thinking what you want to think? Stick around, suffer the times when the "signal-to-noise" ratio drops, as it inevitably does on longer, protracted threads, and learn. The hobby is much more fun when you know a lot about it.

Stevearino, Insider, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  20. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The OP can disregard the informed opinions of many here all he wants. But the OP should know that if he sells this as a Proof, takes in a bunch of money, and then it turns out it is not a proof, when the new owner makes a claim to PCGS under the guarantee you can bet that PCGS will be coming back to the OP for payment under the submission guidelines and mechanical error rules.

Read the fine print on the back of the submission form... you agreed to those rules and you're on notice by the many here and also from Brian Wagner that this coin may not in fact be a proof.

All grading companies, even PCGS, makes mistakes from time to time and PCGS will not let you profit off of those mistakes nor should they.

I had them grade one of my coins that turned out to be a mechanical error where I would have made a $100k+ profit... but I sent it right back to PCGS because I know the rules of submitting coins and that I'd be on the hook if someone ever made a claim through the guarantee down the road.

That said, I agree that the coin does not look like a proof based on any of the pictures provided. It has a proof look to it, but NONE of the required diagnostics. I would need to see the coin in hand to confirm that they are not just hidden by the photos, but I seriously doubt that as TrueView photos usually show at least a few of the diagnostics of a genuine 1909 VDB proof.

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  21. deefree

deefree Active Member

I collect matte proofs. They are my primary focus. I have been reading everything that I could find about them to educate myself. Considering the high expense involved in collecting matte proofs, it is clearly important to do this. Along the way, I've become very familiar with their characteristics and have learned pretty well to spot a genuine proof. I'm not fool "proof" when it comes to this, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

What I've learned about the VDB in particular makes it clear this coin is not a proof. Sorry to say this but I have to because this coin is missing every known diagnostic to be genuine. It also has other problems that would argue against it being a genuine proof.

1) The rims are not squared off and are far too shallow.
    2) The line from Lincoln's back that goes towards the R in Liberty is missing
    3) The lines that run SSE in front of Lincoln's nose are missing (the scratches and the gouge on this coin in that general area do not match the die lines of a genuine VDB proof)
    4) The all important crescent die chip next to UNUM is missing
    5) The die chip in between the left wheat stalk and the rim is missing

In addition, the lamination error under the date would not pass inspection by the coiner.

This coin is a very pretty business strike. As a toned VDB with nice eye appeal, for under $60 it is a nice catch. It is probably worth close to twice that much. It isn't however worth 40k, 4k or even $400. It unfortunately is not the "cherry pick of the century" either. It was a fun mistake though and certainly a wild if short ride for the present owner.

PCGS has already taken down the Certification on the serial number of this coin so they have already caught the error.

Tater, Insider, Paul M. and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted