Ebay...Still a Cherrypickers Paradise 2017'

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Larry Pelf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

How did you find out about my secret membership?
    [​IMG]

I vote NOT a Matte Proof Lincoln (but you knew that from my cartel membership). It lacks all the diagnostics.

What I am curious about is what happens now. Will PCGS pony up the guarantee money or say it was a mechanical error? If it's auctioned, what happens with it?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Kasia, Paul M., eddiespin and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Unless I'm misremembering, the guarantee goes ONLY UP TO what you paid, regardless of "value".

Oh, by the way, at the next cartel meeting, say hello to Carl from Pennsylvania.

WingedLiberty likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

MS65RB is probably break-even factoring grading cost, and even then the color would have to be in play.

I must say, when I first read this thread I ran with the fact that PCGS had certified it, and I couldn't see them risking their rep to the extent of misidentifying a VDB Matte Proof. Never even looked at the outside rims, and that's my bad. The outside should be sharp and flat, not rounded.

Frankly, if robec sees enough to feel doubt, that's as convincing an argument as could be put forth. This could get fun. Popcorn time. :D

Kasia, Stevearino, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Chances are someone ponying up for that coin would take a good, long look at it and return it for a refund if anything wasn't right. You'd need to be prepared for that to happen before cutting a check to Uncle Sam or anyone else.

Paul M. and eddiespin like this.
  6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I would not dismiss the opinion of Brian Wagner easily.

robec likes this.
  7. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Price paid is immaterial.

"If the grade determined under such "Guarantee Resubmission" procedures is lower than the grade originally assigned to the coin, or if the coin is found to be misattributed or non-authentic, PCGS shall pay the current market value for the coin in question at the originally assigned grade, or at the owner of the coin's option, the difference between the current market value for the coin in question at the newly established grade and the current market value of the coin in question at the grade originally assigned. PCGS will also refund the regrading fee and postage and insurance costs incurred by the coin owner in sending the coin to PCGS. IT IS UNDERSTOOD THAT PCGS WILL BE THE SOLE DETERMINER OF THE CURRENT MARKET VALUE OF THE COIN AND THAT CURRENT MARKET VALUE IS DEFINED AS DEALER REPLACEMENT VALUE, I.E. THE PRICE A DEALER WOULD MOST LIKELY HAVE TO PAY TO REPLACE THE COIN."

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wonder what they charged for the certification?

Blissskr likes this.
  9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Soo.. what if pcgs just says mechanical error? How can you prove them wrong? Worthy of taking them to court?

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Show me the slab!

11. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I can zoom in pretty good on my here are some screenshots of the trueviews IMG_20170209_144644.jpg IMG_20170209_144723.jpg IMG_20170209_144617.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Yankee42

13. Yankee42

Nice to see an interesting thread instead of just road rash coins.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Did PCGS screw the pooch???
    Getcha cracka jacks ready:troll:

15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

16. robec

robec Junior Member

No.

17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I don't see them. I do see a lot of contact marks on the obverse pictures that you wouldn't see on a coin graded PR65. You're looking for this by the M in UNUM.

09vdbmarker.jpg

18. V. Kurt Bellman

[​IMG]

19. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Man the thread over at PCGS is just as juicy!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

C-B-D likes this.
  20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I wonder what Salzberg is thinking right now.

C-B-D likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm guessing Salzberg reads up on the numismatic goings on pretty much daily and says, "Told ya'".

My only question is how many tens of thousands of PCGS screw-ups it'll take for the myth of their superiority to collapse.

Paul M., micbraun and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted