Ebay...Still a Cherrypickers Paradise 2017'

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Larry Pelf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. yankee doodle

yankee doodle Member

Congrats! If you need the $ to pay off debts, sell it asap. If not, put it in a safe deposit box with lots of moisture absorbers and you will sleep very well. It will be part of a great legacy for your heirs.

Larry Pelf likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Were all proofs made from 1909-1916 "matte"?

4. robec

robec Junior Member

Yes, at least in regards to Lincoln's and Buffalo's.

Dougmeister likes this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Oh my God!!! Amazing pick. I can't believe I missed that, I am alway's looking at 1909 Lincoln Cents on eBay. But with it ending right around Christmas, I can see why I missed it. Congratulations and it's not the first time I've heard of GSC getting picked. It is an absolute stunning looking cent, that I know I would have bid on, had I seen it. :)

Larry Pelf likes this.
  6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

LOL at "Brian Wagner". Kudos to you for not taking his word for it!

7. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

That is absolutely insane, congrats on such a great find! Makes you wonder just how many legitimate matte proofs, even key dates like 1909 VDB, are still floating around out there.

Endeavor and Larry Pelf like this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Lol are we sure this isn't just a marketing thread for GSC?

Endeavor and Jdiablo30 like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It doubles as one if the story is true or people think it is anyway.

Blissskr likes this.
  10. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

You're telling me you got a 40k coin for 56 bucks?? :bored:o_O

Larry Pelf likes this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

IMO, not a cherrypick, since you did not buy it knowing what it was. However, it was an incredible stroke of luck and you made the right choice to ask around and send it to PCGS. Very Nice!!!

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

That is fantastic!

Larry Pelf likes this.
  13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I was thinking the whole new member, first post ever.

Larry Pelf and baseball21 like this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Were on the same page with that. People almost never would publicize an occurrence like that. Last thing you do when you make money is run out and tell everyone else how to do it

15. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so quick to laugh at Brian.
    Lance.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

So the most likely story is that GSC put the coin on auction knowing what it was, put in a large bid at the end to make sure one of their people won the coin, and finally went on CT to post the "find." Perfect strategy to further increase the amount of viewers for their auctions and to have people bid up common coins in hopes of the ultimate pick.

Or it was all real....I guess we'll never really know.

Paul M., Endeavor and Larry Pelf like this.
  17. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

But the coin literally sold on ebay. For under $60. Meaning if it is a marking gimmick, they risked someone else outbidding themselves for it.

Larry Pelf likes this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Not if they set up a snipe for a huge amount (say the 40,000 price guide number).

Paul M. and Camreno like this.
  19. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I doubt they did that, but who knows. Seems like a lot of risk in that strategy. Plus, the poster did not disclose who he got it from, I did. Now they have a $40,000 to try to unload without selling it themselves if that is the case.

Larry Pelf, Nathan401 and -jeffB like this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Paul M., C-B-D and Larry Pelf like this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm not 100% certain that this is fake, but the risk is not huge.
    The snipe at 40k would beat out any other bidder (if not, then they have an over 40k sale) and GSC can then cancel the sale if their own person wins it.

Also, the picture in the OP looked like a GSC picture and they assumed someone would find the auction on ebay even without stating the seller.

Finally, getting rid of the coin won't be a problem. This isn't a typical ebay item and it would easily sell in a Stacks or Heritage auction without much info coming out about the ebay sale.

In general, the whole situation is weird. Either it is one of the greatest picks or an incredibly clever scheme by GSC.

Draft saved Draft deleted