EBay soon will be the only game in town

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by satootoko, May 6, 2007.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Up to now the only alternate coin auction site with any volume of buyers at all has been Yahoo.

Soon to be no more! [​IMG]

Whatever excuses they may give, the venues where they will continue their auctions are all places where EBay does not have a dominant position. [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

4. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Maybe it has something to do with Microsoft in negotiations to purchase Yahoo?

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Aha, call me bad but that will turn out to be good for ebay sellers, I'm sure. Like me! [​IMG]

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Aidan - you know [​IMG] well (because I have told you so many, many times both in public postings and by PM) - that I am firmly convinced that NONE of those sites are worth the powder to blow them up because they DO NOT HAVE a reasonable volume of sellers or buyers.

Until now Yahoo Auctions have been the ONLY ones I have ever found with enough activity to make it worthwhile to monitor them. Even so, I have bought, at most, a few dozen coins on Yahoo, during the same time period that I have purchased hundreds on EBay.

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

dang, I used to scoop some good stuff off yahoo

8. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

It's a shame, but Yahoo really needs to focus its efforts on its core business if it wants to stick around.

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I wouldn't agree necessarily. Ebay hasn't won the market in China, Japan and perhaps Singapore although the pullout from the US and Canadian market is rather painful I guess.

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I would be very weary about bidding on yahoo now that it plans on closing its doors! some sellers (not all) would take advantage of the fact that their will be little recourse if they get paid and not send the item - or some other tactic. I doubt it will happen on a large scale, but i would be weary.

11. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Sorry to correct you.....but weary means tired...WARY means careful.

12. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

well be wary ... and be weary ...

if only my grammer and spelling were as astute as my interest in numismatic collecting :)

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sad to think that eBay will be the only big game in town.
    But, they were always the big fish.

14. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Yahoo auctions have been losing ground for years. They haven't even had links to it on the main Yahoo page for years. Years ago they were much more competition for ebay, but they never seemed to show the interest in promoting it enough. It's to bad, but I guess I'm not overly surprised it's going away.

I guess Overstock is the next biggest now?

Draft saved Draft deleted