Ebay Sellers Beware

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Captainkirk, Jan 15, 2009.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I believe the new eBay seller requirements and fee schedule support your information. I sold on Yahoo for many years before they discontinued the auction business, and they eventually realized the liability didn't justify the return. It appears that eBay is phasing out of the auction business by forcing greater feedback results, greater sales requirements, greater seller fees, and strong emphasis on store sales. I've tried virtually all of the other sites, but for numerous reasons, they are far worse than eBay if you are selling. There are many bargains for buyers on eBay, and I've yet to see another site that has the seller base as eBay, so I suspect that eBay will continue to be the best site, regardless of their changes. Just try selling/buying through the major auction sites other than eBay, and see what expense/constraints are involved.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Year old post!

You realize you are responding to a post that is over a year old? I remember reading this post when it was posted :)

4. imrich

YOUR OBSERVATION IS APPRECIATED, OBJECTIVELY RECEIVED AS SUPPORT FOR THE CONTENTION THAT eBAY IS PROCEEDING WITH EFFORTS TO ELIMINATE AN AUCTION FORMAT THROUGH INDIRECT MEANS WITHOUT CREATING AN ATMOSPHERE OF DIRECT CHALLENGE. THE FIRM HAS CREATED A PURCHASING CLIENTELE WHICH RELATES eBAY WITH BARGAINS, AND SEEMINGLY NO LONGER NEEDS THE EFFORTS/LIABILITY RELATED TO LOW COST AUCTIONS. IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE ME TO SEE THEM OFFERING A COMPETITIVE ALTERNATIVE TO THE EXPENSIVE (i.e. FEES) MAJOR AUCTIONS. :thumb:

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Hey imrich would you mind not putting all your type in block bold font as it's hard to read.
    Thank you either way :D

6. imrich

Thanks for the comment, and I hope this is better for you, but some of us "older" visually challenged individuals must have a 22" monitor screen, and find it easier to read when the letters are further apart and dark, a combination of Upper And Lower Case Words Improves Reading More. I generally type the words as presented here, so that I can easily "proof read", but still make mistakes. I hope that some of this response met your approval, but also hope that you occasionally accept the deficiencies of an "old f..." (you fill the spaces). PEACE BE WITH YOU!! :thumb:

7. waffles

waffles Junior Member

ebid

8. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

In eBay's terms & conditions,

1) does it state that eBay has the right to arbitrarily remove your listings (I assume it does).
    2) do the terms & conditions allow eBay to not refund removed listings? if so, is there a time period listed?
    3) in the terms & conditions, is there an arbitration clause in case of dispute between you and eBay?
    4) in the terms & conditions, are you required to file suit in a specific jurisdiction (e.g., a California court)?
    5) does eBay have any physical presence in Pennsylvania?

Where I am going is that you could try to bring a small claims suit against eBay based on the (unrealistically short) time between their notification and confiscation of your listing fees. My guess is that if you notify them of your intent to file suit, you might get some action. or not, but if followed up with a complaint to the PA attorney general (with a cc to the person who denied your refund), you might see something happen.

Worst case is that eBay bans you.
    any CT members who are lawyers have any thoughts?

9. waffles

waffles Junior Member

ebid:yawn:

10. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Get Tough

The old *art of font choice & size has been imposed on me, too. :p

So now we need to work on paragraphs.

Since this thread is dead, and has been so for a long time, we may as well :desk:

Or move on.:thumb:

11. waffles

waffles Junior Member

I just visited that site and ebid.Guess they both look the same,as to being able to list coins.I edited this because at first I thought you meant you wanted to list some coins.Thank God I reread your post.

12. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Imagine that, an issue with EBay. I am shocked:D

Former EBay member from 1996-2008

Regards,
    Stan

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

lol yea that's great!
    I change my resolution on my monitor to fit my sight but you can do it your way too...
    I had to teach my father about that and he loves the larger type too.
    Thank you :D

14. imrich

Response To eBay

I believe that if you review eBay terms, you will find the answers to your questions/propositions, to be as follows: 1.Yes, 2. Yes/No, 3. No, 4. Yes, 5. I Believe Not. You may receive a default judgment in a
    small claims court, but I believe you'd need to establish adverse conditions not covered by eBay terms. I doubt that you can establish same. EBay knows better than to respond, other through their legal department, and in the court of their choice. In the past, both eBay/Paypal have been virtually invincible (See paypalsucks.com or Goggle "eBay lawsuit"). If complaints reduce your level of irritation, that is an option which history shows to be futile. Good Luck!!

15. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

That was a year ago. I made a mistake, not realizing my sister-in-law had logged into ebay on my computer. I have gotten over it , this thread was just a warning to others. I have moved on, as we all should.

Draft saved Draft deleted