ebay seller question( for the experts here)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Beginner345, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i agree with @David Atherton , he's legit and i wish i could sell cat photos and products also :cat:

David Atherton likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

I've bought quite a few coins from him and some coins seem to have been soaked in olive oil or waxed. Don't know if he does it or the previous owners. My cats endorse him anyway. 3Cats.JPG

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Many bronzes are at least partially darkened in one way or the other. One of the common ways is with a sugary syrup which is baked onto the coin. If done right it will not leave any stickiness or discernible smell behind. Another method is using a mixture of powdered sulphur and Vaseline or some other type of thick oil. Often cleaners will use a tiny amount of this on a toothpick to darken any scratches during cleaning and wash it off when done or even coat the surface of a coin with this mixture during mechanical cleaning so that it lubricates the surface and darkens any scratches thay might be made.

Curtisimo likes this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Seriously Raymond ... speak to Tater and get some clothes for those cats - this is a family site.

upload_2018-9-19_15-21-17.png

Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and R*L like this.
  6. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

ok ty

Draft saved Draft deleted