eBay seller of fakes, garata999

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Apr 29, 2016.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This guy is on FORVM's notorious fake seller list, so he is known. eBay never does anything about the complaints - he continues to sell with impunity, no negative feedback. Not a single coin is authentic, and not one is described as a replica.

The best we can do is just warn each other of these things. I hope none of you are bidding on his items...

garata999 on eBay SELLER OF FAKES

Paul M., Mikey Zee, Carthago and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow. Those are egregious fakes.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's hard for me to believe any serious collector would fall for those. They're awful!

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

People should know better than to buy from certain countries where it is illegal to sell antiquities! Even if they were genuine one would potentially open a can of worms nobody would wish to.

6. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

A general rule is try not to bid on listings that have the bidders private no matter how tempting...

Paul M. likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

yikes, one of those turds its way to the 300 dollar mark. :rage:

8. hoth2

hoth2 Well-Known Member

Man I wish I could be that careless with my spending money. Those auctions are like watching the Yankees in the early aughts...

Ardatirion likes this.
  9. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

10. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a huge surprise, since the "gentleman" is "from Bulgaria."

Paul M. and Brian Bucklan like this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

As a rule I just won't buy from anyone in Bulgaria or Ukraine. It's prejudice, I know, but I'm good with it.

Paul M. and YOC like this.
  12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is some way to sue eBay as complicit in fraud. They have been told about fakes offered by, for example, Saxbys-coins, a notorious fakeseller, hundreds of times and they do nothing. Saxbys-coins recently sold this fake Balbinus aureus for 3,550 GBP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272216407420

54 bids! Some sucker really got taken and eBay lets it happen. Does eBay have the right not to act on information about fraud?

If you bid on eBay, until you know the seller, always look at "Seller's other items" (to see them all you need to click on "Item location" "worldwide" on the left or many items may not show up) for obvious fakes and at least follow the lists of fakesellers, for example,

http://augustusmath.hypermart.net/fakesellers.html

or

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0

So, who among you is a lawyer and could tell if eBay is culpable?

chrsmat71 and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    TIF likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I guess "flagrant" or "noticeable" is what you're talkin' bout, eh Willis?

=> thanks for the new word (I'm gonna use it in a sec)

Okidoki, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  15. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Technically eBay is profiting from criminal fraud. So if there isn't a law against that, there should be.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mikey Zee, ancientnut and Orfew like this.
  17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Is there a list of these countries (where it's illegal to sell antiquities) somewhere online? I know Turkey is on the list (I went coin hunting in Istanbul once, and learnt the hard way :/)

18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Incredible!

But it does seem that anyone 'bidding' is actually trying to buy a fake or a 'gag-coin'.

Yet no mention of it anywhere as JA states....eBay should be held accountable. Hmmm, Where's @Sallent when you need him????

19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

eBay does occasionally act. I reported a German guy whose store included several common coins attributed as extremely rare emperors like Sebastianus, Julius Nepos, Romulus Augustus etc. He was shut down.

20. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

shame....wish ebay would do something. I sell there loads and its great, but these con men do nothing to help us sellers of genuine coins. I also think the better the grade of genuine coin you sell on ebay the worse off you are as they can be mistaken for modern copies as they are so good!!

21. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

From his feedback:
    "Nice coin, Thanks ( maybe let people know all your coin are replica's)"

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted