eBay seller declines to deliver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I won a coin on eBay. eBay said I won and I paid with PayPal. I got the usual confirmation. The next day I got a PayPal full refund and a note from the seller saying he was not selling it because he paid more ($200 more) than I won it at. He cited a note he had added to the auction, "Si le prix de vente n'atteind pas le prix d'achat la vente est annulée."

I didn't think this was allowed by eBay. Reserves, yes, of course. But not declining to deliver after the coin was "won." Taking a loss is a possibility when you auction a coin. I could not find a place to ask eBay about this. (They are not easy to contact with such questions.)

What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

I made a guy an offer on a coin and he said ok he waited 2 days and some one bid just under what I offered and now he wants to let it ride and see where it goes. Love those types :)

4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

contact eBay explain the situation

5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

eBay and PayPal customer service are absolute NIGHTMARES to deal with.

6. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

That will probably get them nowhere.

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I dunno... sounds wrong to me.

Did you see this?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html
    • If you cancel a transaction, it may be considered a defect and count against your seller performance. Learn more about seller performance standards.
    • If you cancel a transaction, the buyer can still leave you negative or neutral Feedback about the transaction.
    • When you list an item, you enter a legally binding contract to complete the transaction if the item is sold. If you cancel the transaction, there could be other negative ramifications. See the eBay User Agreement.

8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Nothing you can do besides leaving negative feedback.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Since the comment was in French I assume the item was on ebay France and it is permitted there to simply not sell, for any reason. Sales on ebay.fr are not binding contracts.

You seller was within the rules of the site if it was listed on ebay France. THis applies even if you bought it as an international listing on ebay.com

Italy has similar different rules.

10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

yea i think its legal as long as its stated in the , auction,"If the sale price does not reaches the purchase price the sale is canceled. "

11. afantiques

Any negative FB is removable if the item was French as the seller was within the rules.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, he certainly can, as you've just seen.

Here's eBay's page describing the cancellation process:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

It looks like "seller-initiated cancellation" counts as a "defect" against a seller; too many of those, and the seller can lose benefits, or even be suspended.

You can, and probably should, leave at least neutral feedback. I'd consider leaving a negative, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about that -- he did refund your money without dispute; I tend to save negs for the people who try to just keep my money and never ship, or who intentionally ship me SNAD items.

The seller will not fare well on eBay if he makes a habit of this.

Edit: I got distracted before hitting "Post Reply", so it looks like this is a bit late to the party. If the policy is different on ebay.fr, I wonder if the "seller defect" bit applies at all there?

13. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

ring ebay customer services, they have always been very helpful to me and resolved my problems with buyers.

14. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you don't have recourse under the French terms. I would just never do business with that person again.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Bogus reason.
    tell eBay

16. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Why are people saying contact eBay? eBay can't force the seller to sell the coin. He's already said that he's not selling it. The only action OP can take now, is to leave neutral/negative feedback.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I once had a major dealer refund a sale because a favorite of theirs called the next day and wanted the coin they sold me the day before. When the other buyer found out what they did, he told them to send me the coin since I was first. There is honor in the hobby but it is not universal.

A rule: Never post online that you have made a big deal purchase until you have the coin in hand. If you do and the seller finds out that he sold something special he might just decide to claim it was previously sold or lost in the mail and refund.

If, like Valentinian, you get a reputation as someone who knows more about the subject than most, you may find people unwilling to sell to you because they figure you saw something they missed so they are afraid to sell. Jerks are relatively rare in the hobby but they exist.

Ancientnoob and randygeki like this.
  18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

No reserve it is a sale.

Neg him

19. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Ah. The joys of buying on eBay. Anything simple like "I don't think I deserve the negative feedback I got" and they (eBay) will help out. Anything more complex than that, (as has been said before) "save your breath". They (eBay) are ONLY in it for the money. (If we were being honest, isn't every business person?) Don't look for things in the rules because even if you find what you think will help you, it won't. Some sellers sell below cost because they want to move stock. Some sellers sell below cost because they have moral scruples. Some sellers 'cancel' legitimate sales. It happens. It shouldn't - but it does. They're not nice, you are , deep breath and move on. Sorry - but that is life in the 21st Century. I was born in the first half of the last Century when all people had was their 'reputation' and you protected it like 'gold', but now . . . . who cares . . . . . . only me and you, and one or two others.
    Dinosaurs, that's what we are . . . but the sun is shining where I am.

20. afantiques

Most of the posts on this thread are irrelevant and immaterial if the item was sold on the French ebay site. The OP might make clear which site it was listed on to save a lot of nonsense from people who do not know the international sites' different rules and assume US ebay is the only law.

Only Valentinian can clear this up, and he may be off fighting the Alamanii, though I suspect that in this instance the Gauls have got the better of him.

21. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

It's allowed I've had it happen to me a few times. If the seller chooses the right option to cancel the sale you can't even leave feedback and they don't need your permission. Last time it happened to me I paid immediately after winning an auction on a Tuesday night. Two days later I received a message the seller had cancelled the sale. To make matters worse I didn't get my funds back until the next week on Monday or Tuesday which I found ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted