EBAY SELLER, AT COINS!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coins776, Aug 4, 2016.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

4. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Not only that there is about three sellers with the exact pictures almost exact listings. I even messaged him and he says he believes them to be natural.

5. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Well I checked there were 2 days left and not even the minimum bids so doesn't look like anyone is really buying them

7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What, nothing from seller "hiddenshadowz"?

And which one is the one that always says "Toning method: heat" somewhere in the fine print?

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Allowed to?
    Better question is why do you think you should be able to ban a person from selling their own property?

Ed23, imrich and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  11. There is no eBay rules against it really. Not like counterfeits etc. You can't provide proof that these coins were AT'd. It's unfortunate, but they are playing by the rules, even if it is very slimy.

Santinidollar likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think there are plenty of reasons that I, as the owner or operator of a business, should be able to ban a person from selling their own property on my site.

I think there are also plenty of reasons to ban a person from fraudulently representing items that they want to sell. Even the strictest libertarian philosopher will tell you about "not initiating force or fraud".

This, though? It's a shame to see people doing this to coins, but on the list of Bad Things On eBay, it's fairly far down.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

We agree it's a shame that he does that to the coins. But people like it and want it. To me it's like Tattoo's. I don't know why people to do it but if they wan too it's their body.

But were we disagree is neither of us own eBay so it would be their call to ban them. I don't think they should though. 3rd party grading services can't get AT/NT right and what do you think the Bay would get right!

Ed23, Joea59 and MKent like this.
  14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Well I don't have a problem with manipulating common coins that are hardly worth more than face value or melt, provided you are honest about it and aren't trying to perpetrate some fraud. I have several I bought just because they looked like a piece of art created by a craftsman. I knew they were AT and the person that I got them from even said so up front because he didn't want anyone thinking they were getting a natural coin. They were also a lot cheaper than these. I remember some one selling Morgans that were AT for about $50 on eBay but listed them as such. I think it was Cowboy something or other. If you aren't trying to deceive then no harm no foul.

Paul M. and rww67 like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Judging by the lack of bidding action on that junk, there may be hope that buyers are starting to catch on.

Paul M. and rww67 like this.
  16. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the fact buyers are catching on I think it's because they are too expensive. When you take a raw coin that sells for $2 or $3 all day long and doctor it it's not worth 10X that amount it's still a $3 coin that you could get $4 for because now it's a piece of art. JMHO

Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  17. Santinidollar

And if they can get only $4 for said coin, they will move along -- likely to another con they can run on eBay.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I think some people would pay a premium if they liked the way they turned out even knowing it was AT. I think in this case it is more just that they didn't turn out well

MKent likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

It's their moolah.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So buy ebay. Then it will be your business and you can ban him.

Paul M., imrich and Joea59 like this.
  21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I actually ran across this guy last week. I bought a coin from him for a contest. All of his raw coins looked way off. His photo technique is pretty bad. The coin I bought, was a '72-S Proof Ike in a brown box. It's still in the original mint plastic and looks very natural to me. I would never buy any loose coins that were not either sealed in government packaging or in a TPG slab. The Ike showed up today and I think, had he shot it better, might have been able to get more out of it. I will post it in this thread when I get it shot.

TheMont and rww67 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted