Ebay says "That's enough"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wcoins, Sep 2, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Look at this. Ebay thinks searching 10,000 listings is enough.
    No more coins for you!
    10.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What the heck are you searching for? Heck, I have searches that when I get back 120 results I groan because all of the time it will take me to go through all of those.

4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

It takes me less than 30 mins to look over 10k listings.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

He was searching for coins.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's 3/1000ths of a second per listing.

Chris

Endeavor, vlaha and vdbpenny1995 like this.
  7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Very through review. :)

Endeavor likes this.
  8. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Math FTW (For the win)

9. John Anthony

10. cpm9ball

Cam, I'm sure it was just a typo when you omitted the first "o", but "through" might be more appropriate......as in "drive through".

Chris

11. cpm9ball

Does Evelyn Wood train computers to read faster?

Chris

12. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

That's 1800 seconds to look over 50 pages (200 listings each page). That's 36 seconds per page. Perfectly do-able (don't click on each listing, just scroll, and click only on what I'm interested in, add to watch list, quickly back). Depending on how many interesting items I see, it can take a bit less or more than 30 mins. No kidding.

13. John Anthony

I took the Evelyn Wood course and read the Redbook in 30 seconds. It's about coins. :woot:

saltysam-1, vlaha and krispy like this.
  14. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

One doesn't have to look at all 10,000 results either. I find sorting by time ending or time listed to be very helpful. I often snatch up just listed buy-it-now auctions that are priced to sell.

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Yes...it was a typo. But, it does sorta work. :D

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They got rid of wildcard searches, effed up the feedback system, made it so you cannot leave negatives for NPBs, raised fees, make you use payPoo only and you wonder why I don't bother with eBay?

17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Maybe he should become a coin grader! I kid, I kid...

vlaha and krispy like this.
  18. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

It's really 180/1000ths of a second per listing . . . roughly 5 listings per second . . . believable in my mind, if he doesn't open too many listings for a longer look.

10,000 results for a query though? . . . must be '81-S Dollars or Silver Certificates or some other such thing (joking).

rlm's cents likes this.
  19. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

The biggest beef I have with the eBay search engine is all of the listings which have absolutely nothing to do with what I am searching for. I type in Dansco and it gives me Whitman, Littleton and others. eBay used to enforce keyword spamming but now I believe they encourage it.

Why their search engine cannot handle more than 10,000 listing results now when it could before seems like they do not want their users researching competed listings and the total number of results may be reduced again in the future.

20. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

To the OP and others that dont want to wade through the false-positives and/or 10,000 auctions to find one coin, have you seen my review / guide here?

AuctionSieve: Tools You Should Be Using

Why make it more painful than it needs to be?

21. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Weird limit. I just made a search and got 427,740 results in Coins category, no limit messages.

Draft saved Draft deleted