EBay roll hunting.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by bruthajoe, Jan 20, 2020.

?

Is eBay a good source for coin roll hunting?

1. Yes

2. No

3. 50/50

4. Not likely

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I'm trying to give eBay the benefit of my doubt ..."again'', but this time I would like start the thread before my purchase to share the full experience.
    I have just purchased today, (1 - 1916-1945 PDS Mercury Silver Dime Old Green Shotgun Roll of 50 Coins) and (1-SEALED $5 90% Silver Dime Roll Lot of 1x Roosevelt Mercury Barber P D S O Dimes). Stay tuned for the unrolling upon arrival.

Here are the 2 listings...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372291685232

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122707670780 Screenshot_20200120-111946.jpg Screenshot_20200120-111958.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Absolute waste of time and money.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I totally agree with @furryfrog02. Your paying $2.00 for coin. Melt is about $.60 less for each coin.

Troodon, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

When I see these, I think through the logic. First, they look like old time rolls, but if they are, how does the seller KNOW they are only mercuries in there? I doubt they were packed on exactly 1945. So, if the seller knows FOR SURE they are all mercuries, then they must have been packed specifically to only include mercuries. If someone did that, you don't think they know, (since it has been known since the 1930's), that the 16d, 21, 21d are the keys and should be separated, as well as higher grade mm coins?

So the logic takes me to common mercuries packed in older paper rolls. Old paper rolls once were common. I bought half a case of them and sold them to a friend in the 1990's who coin roll hunted to pack his coins back up for banks. The rolls I sold him were way older than these and I sold him half a case for like $5.

Given this, to me it seems the same likelihood of good coins from about any source. I used to have my best luck in old dealer stock. In the 80's, there were only a few dates most dealers looked at for these, and other things like XF early MM coins could slide through. I think I got a XF-AU 1918 D or similar in an old dealer stock like this. I have no idea its value, just remembered its a little better coin.

Kevin Mader, Troodon, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, paying $90 for $65 worth of coins isn't the most expensive mistake you could make on eBay by a long shot. If you study what you get, the educational value could more than outweigh whatever you "overpaid" for these.

7. bruthajoe

Yes, along those lines. We will see....

8. bruthajoe

That was what I said about these bankrolls...

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/bank-rolls.352833/

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Buying "home rolled" coins from your bank is a better shot, IMO.

Troodon and bruthajoe like this.
  10. bruthajoe

So the seller of the second listing did not ship yet and is away. They said I should have been informed during the transaction and they will make every effort to expedite the shipping. Is this common?

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Marketing. A bit of a burn perhaps but not a scorching.

bruthajoe likes this.
  12. bruthajoe

They said Monday. No guarantees.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I often (especially around holidays) see a red-text notice in the top part of the auction listing saying something like "this seller will be away from (date) to (date)", and with the shipping/handling time in color-highlighted text because it's longer than usual.

I don't see it on their listings now, but I don't know whether that's because they didn't tell eBay they were away, or because they're close enough to being back now.

bruthajoe likes this.
  14. bruthajoe

Yea not at all. They said away for 5 weeks. Thanks for checking, I wouldn't know what to look for. We'll see what happens Monday. I wonder if I will be able to still cancel the order by then.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Why cancel? You bought it so just be patient.

16. bruthajoe

Because 5 weeks is a bit unreasonable and not very professional. Especially if they did not give proper notice while, at the same time, promising next day shipment. It just seems strange and is just a bit concerning and I do not want it to lead to the possibility of going beyond the limitations of refund policies.

17. bruthajoe

I couldn't find a better source for mercs, besides junk bags. The other just seemed interesting that it is mixed dimes and I want to see how many mercs and barbs there are.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  18. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. You should cancel.

19. bruthajoe

I should have stated this in the beginning, This is not a stacking purchase. This is a roll hunt purchase. I thought It's better to be stuck with some silver rather than more meter change.I already have too much zinc plated copper plated zinc. Plus I like the winged Libby. It is a tasteful representation of the foundations of our nation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  20. bruthajoe

Really?

21. bruthajoe

Do you think I can wait to see what happens Monday?

Draft saved Draft deleted