eBay removes my replica coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charles1997, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

So I was selling a beautiful 1870 CC 20 D replica coin on eBay, and it was up to $230, then I got my coin removed because it was a copy, after I seen the exact same coin sell for $240 the day before I listed it! Can replicas not be sold on eBay if clearly stated that it is a copy? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429487894.656809.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429487904.138580.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm not sure why they would pull it down if it's labeled as a copy which it clearly is. But I don't understand the price that is was bid up too either. Is is gold?

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Curious. Clearly stated 'copy'......

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It looks like one of these. If so, it contains about a buck's worth of gold.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

eBay leans heavily on the safe side (their definition) with items like this.
    So why did another not get pulled when yours did?
    Someone reported you; apparently the other one didn't get reported.
    eBay does NOT look for this sort of thing.

paddyman98, rlm's cents and -jeffB like this.
  7. Charles1997

It is gold plate, guess someone really wants them. Can coins not be sold that are pearly stated "copy" anymore?

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wonder if the high bidder had a change of heart and reported it as a counterfeit. I doubt that eBay has enough time to review every reported counterfeit and just removes the listing.

9. Charles1997

All he had to do was ask

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

My guess is your auction did not make it clear enough that it was a fake. Why else would someone bid it up so high?

11. Charles1997

It was very obvious

12. justbored

justbored Active Member

The one that sold for $240 was not listed as a reproduction. You had to read deep into the description to see that it is clad.

It is unfortunate that you were not able to reap a profit off of an uninformed buyer.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A terrible, terrible thing this is... my heart just breaks for the OP.

Del Ihle, Kentucky, Blissskr and 2 others like this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

712 likes this.
  16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

$230 for a replica? Could be some bidders who can't read English or just look at the picture and bid because it looks cool.

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

They likely bid thinking there was actual gold content in it.

18. Charles1997

It was clearly stated that it was 10Mil 24KT Gold Clad Base

19. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

How clear is this compared with 'Gold Plated' which is something everyone would understand?

To say it in that manner is to say it in a manner designed to confuse. Or to oversell it. How thick is 10 MIL? Is that 10 millimeters, ten thousandths of an inch.10 millionths of an inch or centimetre? There is so little gold the carat is irrelevant.

'Clad' is a weasel word as well. It has implications of thickness and solidity, as in 'Ironclad' or 'clad in weatherproof clothing' , or even cladding on a building.

It may well be that all these terms are in common commercial use to describe this type of pointless tat, but they are the stock in trade of the deceiver, the standard parlance of hucksters who hope to fool the none too bright into thinking that their essentially worthless junk is somehow a worthwhile purchase.

Trying to defend selling this stuff on a board essentially devoted to real numismatics is futile. A garbage disposal man is worthy if infinitely more respect than a garbage dispensing man, since the latter is due no respect at all.

Del Ihle, 712, Numismat and 3 others like this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Believe it or not, there are actually federal standards for how items like this may be described when offered for sale.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/23.4

And no, that doesn't have anything to do with ebay, it applies when offered for sale anywhere. For example, before an item can be described as "gold electroplate" the gold must be at least 7 mils thick (that's 7 millionths of an inch) and of 10 karat gold or better.

And it can make a huge difference if you use different words or wording to describe these kind of items, such as - gold plated, electroplated, gold filled, gold rolled, gold washed, etc etc etc. And the regulations are quite different for all of them. So simply by using the wrong word or phrase when selling this stuff, you can be guilty of a federal crime.

micbraun, 712, Numismat and 4 others like this.
  21. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Most people don't know what all that means. They do know what FAKE means, which is how you should clearly sell it.

Draft saved Draft deleted