Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stewart dandis, Apr 7, 2016.

1. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

I just sold a coin for $900 and the guy wants to send me cash even though I had PayPal only in description. I don't mind doing this but is it against Ebay rules? I couldn't find the answer on their site.

Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and if he sends it insured for $900 and you open the envelope that there is $75 there what can you do?

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

ADVERTISING that you take cash or money orders is illegal, but they cannot outlaw cash. It does say "legal tender for all debts" right on the bill after all. Since you have paypal only in your listing, you probably can cancel the sale, but I happily take cash and money orders, as there are no fees, and they cannot do a charge back on you.

5. jwitten

I do not believe you can insure cash. And since it was not paid via paypal, he cannot file a claim against you. He can leave negative, but you hold the power with cash payments.

6. stewart dandis

Thanks fellers, I just found the answer. Ebays Accepted Payment Policy says NO CASH through the postal service.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Screw 'em. Take the real money.

daveydempsey, NOS and jwitten like this.
  8. jwitten

I would tell him you would be happy to accept a postal money order, but cash is too risky to send in the mail. That way, you get no fees, no fear of a charge back, etc, and he does not have to use paypal.

Diplodocus, NOS, Jaelus and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This. If he can send cash he can send a money order or a cashier's check.

NOS likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

And, if the buyer claims he never received the package, then what?

Chris

11. jwitten

Then he cannot file a paypal dispute.. that's what :) More seller protection this way.

daveydempsey, ThinnPikkins and NOS like this.
  12. stewart dandis

Buyer just said he sent me the message about paying cash in error. He said it was supposed to go to another seller. He did pay by PayPal though so all is good.

Thanks again fellers.

Santinidollar and jwitten like this.
  13. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Does the buyer want to by-pass ebay, when you say send cash ?

14. stewart dandis

To be honest Rick, I'm not sure, kinda looks that way. That's why I always say PayPal only to CMA.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Cash is not insurable.

tommyc03 and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  16. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

Whenever I get the chance, I offer a lower price out side of ebay, some people are sticklers for rules but the majority jump all over it so they can avoid that 15% hit....I am not against this at all. I actually bought a cash register this way quite a few yrs back after i contacted the seller on ebay, she gave me her phone number and I processed a transaction right on the phone! 2012-02-13 12.42.11.jpg 2012-02-13 12.44.14.jpg

serafino, NOS, jwitten and 2 others like this.
  17. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Check and see in your invoices, if you were charge for the sale .

He might be ( buyer ) trying to save you the seller fees ...

18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Makes no difference how the buyer pays, FVF accrue the moment an item is sold. The only way the buyer could save you FVF would be to request a cancellation or for you to do an unpaid item claim.
    You would then get credited with the FVF.

I have no difficulty ignoring ebay's dictates on types of payment but I generally draw the line at outright fraud.

stewart dandis likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I would say that if Ebay says no cash payments, then no cash payments. Something smells fishy about your buyer.

20. jwitten

Ebay says no cash, cause they want the extra paypal revenue. I am all for cash/money order sales.

ThinnPikkins, Rick Stachowski and NOS like this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is insurable but you have to send it by registered mail
    DMM section 609 4.1 d. 6.
    Face value of negotiable documents that cannot be reconstructed up to the amount of insurance coverage bought, but not to exceed the $50,000 maximum amount of insurance coverage available if sent by Registered Mail

Cash is NOT listed under the items that can't be insured/are not reimbursable DMM 609 4.3

The maximum reimbursement for insured cash by tiers other than Registered is $15.
    DMM 609 4.1 m
    Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items(defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00.

Ebay spun off paypal, they don't get the paypal revenue anymore.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted