eBay Question...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rassi, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I won an auction for a small item. Haven't paid yet as the seller gave 7 days to pay, and they combine shipping and they had a few other items I was looking at. After looking at additional items, I noticed a lot of their photos looked the same. Nothing in the auctions said anything about the photos being stock photos or that you wouldn't get the item shown in photographs.

Suspicious, I contacted the seller and asked about the similar photos. He admitted they were stock photos, but that his items weren't "junk" and I'd get a similar item, but "no promises" for cameo, etc.

I told him without photos of the actual item, I didn't want to complete the sale. I think I have a good basis for a "item not as described" complaint if I had paid for it and he'd shipped it. I just want to skip the trouble and bail on the auction. How do you do that? It's sitting in my purchased section waiting for me to send payment. Don't want to get a non-paying bidder flag on my account.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Just tell him you will be returning any item you pay for, so please cancel the sale instead. If he refuses, you gotta pay, then open a dispute.

Mic123 likes this.
  4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I'd probably base what I do on the value. If it's a <$50 coin I'd probably just pay it, risk it, see what I get and chalk it up as lesson learned and pay more attention in the future. If >$100 I might ask to cancel the transaction and apologize. Ebay will remove the sellers fees for the auction. The seller isn't out anything but a little time and hassle. Maybe ask if he'd send you a pic of the actual coin? It's not that hard. If he won't, then request to end transaction.

5. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Pay for it, let him ship it, then send it back. As you said before, 'item not as described' will be your reason for the return. You don't get a mark against you. You get the full refund and a mark could go against him. But what if you get the item and it's better looking than what you expected ? By not get the piece in the first place you could lose out on a quality coin !

mlov43 likes this.
  6. coolhandred

coolhandred Member

Cancel the sale as the item is "not as described." The seller should have stated the photo was a "stock" photo and not the actual item. Stock photos are often used for items that are new in the box, such as books, toys, games, etc. I never use stock photos for one of a kind items. If I am selling an item in multiple I will state the photo is a "stock" photo, however the product you receive will be exactly the same.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Even though slightly misrepresented you should pay. Let the seller know that because of "Stock photos" you will be returning any coins not up to your liking. Then file a dispute.

Paul M. and Del Ihle like this.
  8. TradingGreen

TradingGreen Active Member

How does their feed back look?

9. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Take a little of the responsibility of buying something YOU looked at, then decided to purchase. I understand you changed your mind, but, you did see the pictures and click BUY. Tell him you are willing to cover partial...
    I say all of that because I moved about 25K worth of product a month years ago. Been there done that and nothing was worse as a seller than to list something, have someone purchase it, then blame me that they bought it.

I think it is wrong that anyone uses a stock photo, then again, I would expect to catch that. It is great to try and get a deal. Just don't be too cheap.

just my opinion and sure it goes against the grain of BUYERS only. Sell for a while and you will understand.

Brett_in_Sacto and Del Ihle like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The OP saw pictures that didn't show the coin for sale, and the seller didn't say so in the item description. How on Earth can you say that this is the buyer's mistake?

It's good that the OP figured it out by looking at the seller's other auctions, but I don't consider that a standard responsibility for buyers. If you're selling, post good photos of the exact item for sale, or state clearly in the description that you're using stock photos.

I hear a lot of stories about abusive buyers on eBay, but this isn't one of them.

11. Rassi

This should have been my tip-off. They seem to be pretty high volume, so their feedback looks good overall. But the few complaints they do have, the majority of them are for INAD, with quite a few saying "bait and switch". I don't think he had evil intentions, he probably just moves a lot of items and it's time consuming to photograph everything. He just needs to make that known in his descriptions.

In my searches for this item, I have been avoiding sellers who are selling more than one since I know those won't have the actual photos. With single item sellers, if they have stock, incomplete, or poor photos, I've messaged them asking for photos and letting them know I'd be interested if their items are what I'm looking for. Quite a few have been cooperative and helpful. I've even added one to my list of sellers to watch.

12. Rassi

I have sold, and I do understand the frustrations many have with abusive buyers. I don't think this transaction falls into that realm. I have messaged him and said I would be happy to complete the sale if he provided photos up front. There is still time in his 7 day payment window for him to do this. I said if he was unable or unwilling to do that, please just cancel the sale.

Del Ihle likes this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Stock photos are absolutely against eBay's policy.

[​IMG]General guidelines for coins and paper money
    • Include all relevant information that you know about the item, such as origin, date of issue, and condition.

• Include a clear picture of the actual item being sold—don't use stock photos.

• Include all information about any alterations that may have been made to the item.

• Individually identify every item listed to avoid misunderstandings about what is for sale.

• Don't list the item if you're unsure of its origin or authenticity.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

Blissskr likes this.
  14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Caveat Emptor. There are a lot of "entitled" buyers on Ebay. They think they should get something for a cut rate price, and it should also be brand new and in perfect condition - as it would be in a retail store - and you should deliver service above and beyond anyone else - or they will slam you with negative ratings and feedback.

You haven't even received the item and are already looking for justification to cancel. This is why you ask questions FIRST.

This is also an inconvenience to the seller, although to his detriment the seller could have been a bit more straight forward with the description and pictures.

If you had to look this person in the eye and do the deal in person - how would you approach? Because it is a person at the other end. If you feel you're being cheated or scammed - call them on it. If you just regret making a bad decision - you should own up to it.

chromerunner and TradingGreen like this.
  15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I agree with letting it ship because you have no downside risk. If the coin is as good or better than the photos you may come out ahead. If it turns out to be of clearly lesser quality than the photos you can open a SNAD case which obligates the seller to pay for return shipping. I would be up front and warn the seller ahead of time that this is what you will do. If he has duplicates of your item in inventory that will provide an incentive to pick a better one to send you.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Imagine yourself in his / her shoes . . . how inconvenient would dealing with a return be for you as a seller?

If you think you'll be saving the seller some time, money and inconvenience by canceling the sale, I'd ask if he / she would willingly do so. If shipping to the buyer is free, for example, the seller might prefer to back out before delivery, and save that loss, rather than take the chance that the buyer won't like the coin.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

That same logic can be applied to the seller. If you were selling coins and somebody selected a coin in your display case and paid for it, would it be right to pull one of lesser quality from the back room and give them that one instead?

silentnviolent, Rassi and -jeffB like this.
  18. 12coins12

12coins12 New Member

lol, I caught someone trying to sell a raw washington quarter, checked PCGS coinfacts to see a possible price for what I thought was the grade. Turns out the picture of the quarter he was trying to sell was the same picture on coinfacts and displayed prominently. Looked at his other listings and he was doing the same...

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

@KSorbo hit the nail on the head. If I were doing a deal like this in person, the analogy would be that I pointed out a coin in his display, agreed to the price, and then he pulled another coin in an opaque envelope from under the counter and tried to take my money for it.

20. Rassi

On a related note, is it possible to see if a seller has changed a buy-it-now price recently, and if so, what the previous price was??

21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Stock photos work for an xbox or an Iphone. It doesn't work for unique collectible items, value based on condition. It doesn't matter if they've been graded or not.
    I think stock photos is being lazy. If it is too low value to take a pic of it, it should be sold in a lot or don't put it on ebay. It's not fair to the buyer.

I was recently looking at MS-66 FB mercs and a few sellers had stock photos. I read that and moved on. Of course they're going to take a picture of the cleanest most perfect 66 they have. Theoretically, they should be the same but there are minor differences that you may not care for from one to another. And that's a 66 grade. What happens below that? How can you use a stock photo?

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted