ebay question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by riff, Feb 24, 2013.

1. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

a guy bought a lincoln from me. he hasnt paid after sending him an invoice a week ago. i just looked and he has had a flurry of negs for not sending items and not paying for items he won, in the last few days. if i relist the item, can he neg me? what do i do in a situation like this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Report him to eBay and talk to eBay customer service. I'm pretty sure that even if he gives you neg feedback, it would be removed at the end of the month by eBay's seller protection. At least, that's what happened to me before.

4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

There's really no need to talk to eBay customer service. They will just tell you to open an "unpaid item case". Read how to here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

I've gone through the the process, it works quite well. The buyer cannot neg you if they haven't paid. Also, put him on your blocked bidders list immediately.

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

First let me say, I'm sorry this happened to you. It's unfortunate that Ebay has always been a a pool for these types and it's more prevalent today than ever before. I would try to contact this buyer at least once more as a reminder of payment due. Than as the previous poster suggests, open an unpaid item case and let EBAY conduct any further followup with them. I know it's difficult to not immediately take this very personal, but there may be a justified explanation for the delay in payment. Once you have followed this, block the user from any further bidding on your items until the unpaid invoice is resolved or permanently. Hope this works out for you.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

When you file an unpaid case against a seller, it (eBay) blocks either of you from leaving feedback. Also, you have a setting (site preferences/unpaid assistant) where eBay will automatically open a case for you so you are not involved.. Their setting is 4 days.unpaid.

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

It's really not just eBay, these types of people have always been around and always will be sadly.

8. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i had someone win 6 of my auctions. they never paid so i opened unpaid cases for all items. i noticed about 3 weeks after my items sold they had a bunch of new positive feedback for items they did pay for. sad part is most of the auctions they won were worth more than all 6 of my auctions put together. i am losing faith in what really happens to buyers with unpaid strikes against them.

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I set my auctions now with the restriction that it blocks bidders with more than 2 unpaid bid cases in the last 12 months. I'd be even more restrictive if I could but that's the lowest they'll let you go. Since I did that, I get a lot fewer of these problems. If you aren't doing this, I'd recommend everyone do it.

10. urbanchemist

i have always had my auctions set to that. this person never had an unpaid strike prior to my auctions. they were a newer buyer with only 20 feedback. it stayed that way for a while. then a month later they were up to 30

11. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

I had my first opportunity to use the "Unpaid item" process, and it works very well. Definitely go that route.

12. riff

sent him a message and got this: "no sir, i cannot purhase this. my father had to be hospitalized..im trying to fix this ebay bidding nightmare. im very sorry. please send cancelation."

13. urbanchemist

at least you got a response back from the buyer. all of my unpaid items they don't even respond. i give them plenty of time to respond back before i even give them and unpaid strike. i wish the system was a little better. i also wish you could still give negatives to buyers who flake out. that way sellers in the future have an idea who they are dealing with

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

See, anything might happen in peoples lives. I know this is a disappointment for you, but move on, cancel the invoice and restrict him from bidding in future auctions. No need to cause yourself an ulcer over it.

15. riff

im not stressing, i just wanted to be able to relist the item without getting a negative feedback. i wasnt sure how that worked, never had a non payment before.

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club, my friend. As a seller of about 125 coins a month, I also average 5 non-paying bidders a month. It's just part of the down side you have to deal with. Everyone wants to WIN really bad. But then they do and they realize they don't have the money, or their wife is gonna kill em when she finds out how much he spent, etc... etc... Good luck. It sounds like it's working itself out.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't do the volume you do, but I have probably sold 500 items on eBay in the last 2 years. Yet, I have only had a single non-paying buyer.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Buy-it-now or auctions? I'm guessing you'd have less deadbeat bidders with buy-it-now... Happy for you though!

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Mostly auctions, but there were several BIN auction. Maybe 5:1

20. steverr1

steverr1 Member

Be very careful with giving anyone a negative. I bought an item and I was given a false shipping number. The item never came. After many emails and no response I tried calling. Soon 4 different negatives showed up on this sellers account stating that they too were given false shipping numbers and never received their item. All these were in the last month. After much thought I decided to issue my first negative after using Ebay since 1999. My motivation was to also warn other buyers.

As soon as I posted the negative my shop was issued bad reviews on Google and other forums from this seller who never has been in my shop nor ever did any sort of business with me. The jerk went on to say in his reviews that we sold junk and I was a "troll" and to avoid at all costs.

I attempted to get a Google investigation. I assure you it is impossible to get such a thing started. In fact its impossible to get them on the phone at any of their numbers and when you leave a message they never call back. In addittion, Ebay would have no part of any sort of help and basically said for me to get lost as it was none of their business (I have over 5000 feedbacks at 100%). I also called three different lawyers who ran ads for this sort of thing but I found out quickly that they were only interested in high dollar cases. I could go on, but I have wrote enough to give you an idea that you take a big gamble with this sort of stuff.

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Wow that's terrible! I've had a seller of counterfeit coins call me and threaten me with a lawyer once. And one other time I had a deadbeat bidder call me with some lies and empty threats, but nothing beyond that. I don't own a brick and mortar shop, so I have less to risk from people lashing out. Still, the marketplace can be scary sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted