Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cazkaboom, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Hey everybody.

So I have just recently (About Last month) opened up my ebay account. I have a total of 8 feedback in my score.

I have been buying up proof lincolns for my collections and am prepared to go into buying lincolns from the fourties. Now that I have been looking, it is an expensive task to do. And I figured I may as well start selling coins to help me pay for these new coins for my collection. BUT I am not too sure if I should just start off selling low end stuff like >$30 coins and junk silver or if I can sell some of the better coins like my 1951 DDO cent and a few other higher priced coins.
    [​IMG]

So my question(s) are
    A) Will my feedback affect what I sell my coins for?
    B) Should I list the expensive coins or the cheaper stuff?
    3) Should I do both but the spendy coins with a BIN OBO?

Any feedback will help.

Thanks,

~Cannyn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would build your feedback first and save the high dollar stuff for later. The BIN is a good idea to help protect you on the high dollar stuff. Good luck. You could also try to sell the BIN stuff here in the market place and save a bit on fees.

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I agree. Get your feet wet with the lower priced stuff. If you wind up taking a hit (non-paying buyer; scammer, whatever) then it's a lot easier to deal with.

Build your reputation first. Also, keep a record of repeat buyers. Once you find out what they're looking for, you can avoid ebay by selling direct to customers. You can give a better price because you don't have to deal with ebay's costs.

5. insidehersource

insidehersource New Member

It's hard to come off as credible without having adequate feedback. It's not as bad as you'd think. Get a few stars selling cheaper stock and build your reputation. You won't appear as a top seller unless you have multiple high feedback scores over a certain period of time.

And solicit feedback in the beginning if you must. Many people, myself included, won't leave feedback unless we're remined.

TR

6. MrCheeks

MrCheeks Active Member

When I first started selling on eBay I started with the lower end items, like junk silver and lower grade coins. I had success and went out of my way to offer free shipping and shipping the day of payment or the day after payment. If you're able to provide good customer service on the lower end stuff people will be more willing to buy higher end stuff. After a few months of the lower end stuff I recently started selling gold and have had nothing but fast sells and good feedback. I would agree with the higher value coins to go with BIN or Best Offer. I did that will the gold and sold two 1/2 oz coins within minutes.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

There is an alternative to BIN. Simply start the auction with a minimum price (be realistic) you would expect it to sell for. With eBay's pricing structure, you get 50 lists for free, but BIN listings cost 50¢ each. If it sells, you got what you would accept. If it does not, simply relist it - free again

8. Cazkaboom

Thanks Larry. I am going to continue purchasing fro there but probably will wait just a bit longer to start selling there.

Thanks, Dick. I'll keep that in mind. Thats a pretty nice way to go around things.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This is good advice and should answer your third question. As for feedback. Most people think overall feedback numbers are meaningless unless you have a very low feedback rating and are new to E-Bay (like you are). Once you have 50-100 feedback under your belt, people will be satisfied that you understand how E-Bay works. Personally, I am only interested in negatives and neutrals when I check seller feedback. I evaluate E-Bay sellers on what I see in their listings. Most importantly, do they provide good well light focused photographs? Second, do they adequately describe the item in a way that makes me believe they have some numismatic knowledge? Third, do they clearly list their terms of sale including S&H costs, return policy, and payment options? The effort they put into their listings tells me much more about the seller than buyer feedback.

My advice to you is two fold. First, sell some lower priced stuff until you have 50 positive feedback. Second, you must improve the quality of your photos. People who want to buy DDO's, DDR's want to see the doubling in the photo, even if it is certified by PCGS.

10. Cazkaboom

Thanks for the info, Lehigh. As for photos, I think this would be adequate.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted