Ebay PROOF or POLISHED?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Markus1959, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Ebay listing - NGC slab states UNC DETAILS coin. Seller states PROOF coin! What say you?
    I ask how do you polish a coin and make the fields reflective and leave with what looks like a fingerprint on the reverse and make the details looked frosty? Although the obverse kinda does look a bit polished.
    And for almost 20 Grand?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Columbian-Commemorative-Half-Dollar-NGC-Details-Polished/190765937567?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=39107&meid=391126b0f08248b6adfdae8d045224c1&pid=100033&rk=7&rkt=8&sd=222290434882

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Evan8 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I know exactly who's selling this coin, and, IMO, he's insane if he thinks anyone is going to buy this coin as is. I personally side with NGC on this one.

Evan8 likes this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

if seller thinks it's Proof, why not crack it and send it to another slabber?

5. Markus1959

If this is the seller I'm thinking it is, He does go against the TPG'r and uses his own opinion to describe the coins then tries to sell them at ridiculous prices. But I was also wondering how can a coin be polished that makes the devices appear slightly frosted and the fields reflective but still retain a fingerprint?

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The fingerprint is no big deal to explain: it got there after the coin was polished.

Kentucky and Markus1959 like this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I just posted this yesterday. I know this seller too and he's out of his mind

Paul M., Kentucky and Markus1959 like this.
  8. Markus1959

Darn, never thought of that!! :)

9. Markus1959

Sorry, didn't see it!!

10. Evan8

No problem. I kinda hijacked another thread with it anyways.

11. Evan8

This isnt the only coin Mr Leidman is trying to pass off as proof. Hes got some lincoln cents that have been cleaned and graded by PCGS that he swears are matte proofs!!

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There is controversy about the Proof status of these coins. Decades ago this was probably considered/bought/sold as a proof. Research by the TPGS after 1986 has determined the die markers found on the coins they accept as genuine Proofs. This coin has a mirror surface as made. It has also been polished. The frost you see was on the coin as a cameo. Apparently, the polishing was not enough to destroy the frost seen on the reverse. As for the fingerprint, that happened after the polishing.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Unfortunately, these days I'm afraid your remark hits close to the actual medical truth.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

In my opinion, all of this seller's items are overpriced. I have made some very reasonable offers on his items and he has come back with nonsense like $3 off the posted price (on a $150+ item). If a coin catches my eye and I realize it's his, I just move on.

Evan8, Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If he doesn't agree with the grade, why doesn't he send it to PCGS where he is a biggie? Bet he can get it graded for free. Obvious answer: It already has been with no better result.

I think it's sad one of the biggies in the business is doing this on a routine basis.

Anyway, I doubt I'd take a free coin from this dealer. Not trying to be sarcastic, but that's the way I feel.

16. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've tried to buy from this dealer. In my limited experience (I gave up quickly), he doesn't move much on his often ridiculously high prices. That said, he's been around for a while so someone must be biting. o_O

17. Markus1959

Probably same reason "COIN VAULT" is still peddling it's high priced coins on TV!

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted