Ebay Problem -- Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sf340flier, Nov 5, 2006.

1. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Okay, here's an issue I am having on ebay and I need some thoughts on how to proceed. I originally won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140025384661&rd=1&rd=1

I used sniping software and really got a great deal on this coin, in my opinion. I paid almost instantly and the coin never showed up. I contacted the seller and he said it was "lost" in the mail and he would refund the price (of course I would lose $7.40 toward shipping/insurance etc.).

Now look what just shows up (with Private Bidder ID's):

http://cgi.ebay.com/1890-PCGS-MS64-Morgan-Blast-White-Blazer-OBH_W0QQitemZ140048784444QQihZ004QQcategoryZ139811QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice the PCGS numbers match. I sent a message to the seller asking about this (so far no response). I also inquired into PayPal and was told to get all his tracking/insurance info (which I have asked him for). I don't want to jump to conclusions -- maybe the coin eventually was found by the Post Office and was sent back to him -- but I am pretty worked up over this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? Should I demand the coin at the original price? Should I just chalk this up to another internet lesson?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. n_sandler4

n_sandler4 Paul

Well, I would demand him to end that auction, and send you the coin you won....He probably just wasn't happy with the realized price.....However, you discovered him, so I would just ask him to send it to you, with free shipping=p

4. Salesrep

Salesrep Senior Member

I would have had him return my shipping to unless he could pfove he shipped it. I would also ask for the coin at the price contracted for.

5. Silver Striker

Silver Striker Senior Member

Contact e-Bay as well.

This situation smells like a dead rat!

Obviously, the seller is keeping your money for shipping and insurance that YOU paid for and they still have the exact same coin! If they got the coin back from the lost mail then you should also get your shipping and insurance back period. I'll bet they never mailed it in the first place.

I would think that with proof of both auctions showing the exact same coin with registered PCGS serial numbers the seller should have to prove that they can show e-Bay copies of the original mailing receipts. I'll bet they can't and I'd bet that that specific auction can get the seller NARU'ed if they fail to prove the original mailing attempt of this coin to you.

I'll ask the seller why they are selling the same coin twice?

6. Silver Striker

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Tell him that if he fails to respond or to honour his contract with you . then you will report him to the Police for fraud and theft. Print off copies of the ebay pages as well.

De Orc :thumb:

8. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

Better yet tell him you will report him to the U.S. Postmaster General to request an investigation of mail fraud which is a federal crime.
    Also, be sure to post negative feedback if you haven't already left positive or neutral. Good luck and thaks for the post here. One more we can all avoid.

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG]

10. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

question

Should any of us get involved, and ask the seller why he is selling the same coin twice?

11. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

First thank you to all who have given me ideas on how to proceed.

At this point, the seller will not respond to any of my email questions. I'm going to give him the rest of the day, and then go all out...Ebay, PayPal and the USPS. I will update everyone when something happens.

I have not left feedback for him, and I surely will. As funny as it sounds though I do want to hear his side of the story. I cannot imagine how he could convince me that this is all a mistake, but I will give him a chance.

His silence is deafening!

12. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Read his negative feedback here and you may decide not to wait any longer. :(

13. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

WOW, that's pretty crappy. Neg them and then BLOCK them...

Good Luck
    Ben

14. Silver Striker

The seller has editted their auction description and added another photo of the coin they are supposedly selling.

Another 1890 MS-64 with a different serial number.

OH WELL.

I suggest this seller be watched to see if later in the future the same slabbed serial number coin show's up again.

Wonder if the sellers sells on the other auction sites?

I sent the seller an e-mail using my secondary account. Don't know why they would send my e-mail to e-Bay???? DUH!:headbang:

I've received no reply from the seller.

Looks like they will just tell e-Bay that they mistakenly used the WRONG photo for the new auction. Would be interesting to bid and win the new auction to see what coin is actually received. However the seller requires pre approval in order to bid and the buyers names are now "PRIVATE".

15. dopeuser

dopeuser Senior Member

I saw this thread earlier today, and just checked to see whats happened,
    did you see this new part added in the item description?...

"I want to thank the 4 ebayers who sent me e-mails. I promise I won't forget you
    and I have forwarded your e-mails to eBay to show my appreciation!
    Have a GREAT Day!"

I cant help but laugh, and shake my head at the same time, I mean really,
    what can you do?

16. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

With respect to the feedback, one item was shown as "Feedback withdrawn because member did not respond to formal mediation request." I wonder who initiated that request? Is that yet another way to expunge negatives?

17. Silver Striker

I also find it interesting that in order to bid on this 1 out of 5 individual morgans this seller is offering that this particular morgan requires pre approval to bid!!!!

18. aviko

aviko Junior Member

sf340flier
    This seller should be punished. I had few "finds" on ebay that were also "lost in the mail" and I always suspected the seller just wouldn't send it for a low price.
    I would register myself on different user names buy some of his stuff and then neg him like there is no tomorrow. Not so elegant - yet very efficient.

19. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I took the liberty to do just that. No reply.

20. glaciermi

glaciermi Senior Member

I'd ignore him just because he couldn't spell koins or kollectibles

21. n_sandler4

n_sandler4 Paul

Draft saved Draft deleted