eBay & Paypal hacked

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by daveydempsey, May 21, 2014.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Get rid of the cat.

zookr likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You've never come off a bender......

rickmp and definer like this.
  4. zookr

zookr New Member

After Ebay screwed me over on my sale - (gave my buyer money & item back!) - had 100% FB to that date.
    They then shut me down & denied my appeal - item WAS NOT mis-described as claimed, totally screwed me.
    Cannot get into my account even now - 100% AMAZON now!

5. zookr

zookr New Member

Turn keyboard upside down when done with it -

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This is rich. Do tell.......

7. rickmp

Is your cat dyslexic? :D

8. unCommon Cents

unCommon Cents New Member

Thanks so much for the email heads up. I'd heard it on the radio first but you are so classy for letting your members know. The major companies that got hacked this last year is incredible and worse yet that they don't want to tell people.

9. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

Use two factor authentication - far easier!

(For those who don't know)

If you enable two factor authentication at Paypal, when you login it stops you and asks for a pin number. The pin number is something you get by having them send a text to your cell phone.

Here I am logging in to PayPal:

paypal.jpg

I ask it to Send SMS, a few seconds later I get a text on my phone and I type it in. With this, you'd need to have my password AND my cell phone in your hands.

Other sites support similar schemes.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is one good thing about this kind of stuff. It's get folks to change passwords. Some never think about doing it.

11. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

My paypal is un-verified which I can see as being a hassle to some, As your limited to withdrawing up to $ 500 a month, which I never go over, and every time I try to make a purchase other than ebay, I have to verify the transaction, by calling paypal each and every time so I can let the transaction go through.. Which is ok for me as I rarely do so.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

True, I changed mine, and I have used the same one since I joined ebay back in 1998.

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Due to similar concerns, I thought about buying a neat tool called myIDkey ... even made a $10 donation via Kickstarter. :) And what happens, now that the first few devices have been shipped? I just got an update from the company which says they have to "hibernate many of the functions of our current business" etc. Well, I hope they will be back soon, as I think such devices (which can have PC/phone connections but don't have to) are basically pretty safe ...

Christian

14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I don't change my passwords unless a database of passwords has been hacked (such as happened to ebay). If "they" haven't figured out my password after 20+ years, then I don't see the need to change it every month. The process of changing them is more vulnerable than leaving them unchanged.

15. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I'll get rid of my computer before that happens.

16. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Maybe. More likely Schizo. That's an awesome signature, BTW.

17. fengshuiplus

fengshuiplus New Member

I agree and my advice is: change it after you do breakfast and use: fried egg, scrambled egg, poached egg, mini egg, burned egg, no egg, Cadbury egg, boiled egg, egg&sausage, eggfriedrice, egg pasta, egg & bacon, mix egg, Ok, I know, I have now gone too far, sorry, I guess what we all need is to get one of those old world war II code books or machine to scramble every password, last month all my accounts, including yahoo, ebay, paypal plus many others, even my IPhone, home phone was playing up, every passw was gone, had to request all or sign up again, no harm done, just felt stupid requesting: forgot passw in order to get the usual : yz453h6. LOL, and then redo all again...

Forget about it and monitor your stuff and be careful,
    There are millions of internet users, 1 hacker apparently , somebody screw up, its the millennium bug again (2014), go figure.

Does ebay and paypal say they protect you?

18. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

Me too!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

19. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I can think of 2 scenarios where getting an ebay account password might pay off. But so far we don't know that the encryption has been hacked. ID theft is the big concern on the face of it right now, and changing password won't help that. Wait make that 3, I just thought of another, but it is less likely to be untraceable to get the payout.

20. rickmp

The encryption was busted. They not only got passwords, they got addresses, dates of birth, as well as other personal information that may have been stored on eBay's servers.

21. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

They probably want to send us birthday cards. You guys assume hackers are always up to no good. I for one have not changed any of my passwords. I will not let a few hackers change my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted