eBay & Paypal hacked

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by daveydempsey, May 21, 2014.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

2012 I started changing my pay pal login each time I would win an item. A pain in butt but has been keeping hackers from hacking my account .
    I don't sell on ebay since 2012 .
    Thanks for post!!!
    I hope it will help everyone ! :)

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    lucyray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

Since it happened end if February early March. That's a long time not to have users change passwords. I heard about this on the radio this morning

4. pcn

pcn Junior Member

I hear the black helicopters...
    Hopefully my Dick Tracy decoder ring will self destruct before the aliens get to it...

5. samsara15

samsara15 Junior Member

Thanks very much for the warning!

6. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I still haven't received any notice from FeeBay. I read about this in the headlines, and I received a message about this thread in my email, but nothing directly from FeeBay.

I wonder if the encryption used to protect the passwords in this database was any better than the encryption used on Adobe's passwords that were compromised a while back. The encryption on those didn't last very long...

Here's an example of a good service provider: I set up an account for a web site through Dreamhost and shortly after the data breach at Adobe, they sent me an email that read:

They cross referenced their user database against the email addresses listed in the compromised Adobe database to advise their users to change their Dreamhost password if it was the same as the one used for Adobe's services.

Not that I would ever expect this level of service from FeeBay, but I do expect some direct notification.

7. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

More like two years later......athese agencies move sloooooowwww

8. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Thank you for the heads up. I had not heard..been busy. I have changed passwords, and after reading this thread, I can see that I better have a safer plan. My passwords have been the same for years! Time for change..now I just have to remember the new ones!

9. mikep

mikep Active Member

I really just hate ebay, more and more everyday.

zookr likes this.
  10. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Yep, that's why I wanted to send out a notice to everyone. Just to make sure the word gets around.

imrich likes this.
  11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

good thing is happened many weeks ago so if nothing has happened to your account then they probably didnt get your account. otherwise you would have suffered long before you read this thread

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I disagree. Even if they got a tenth of the 150 million active accounts, they could be hacking ten thousand a day, and it would still take them years to get to all of them.

Still waiting for my email from eBay.

13. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I was kind of wondering about that too. If they knew this happened weeks ago, why are we finding out about it this week, first of all. But, yes, the repercussions of this could be ongoing for the long-term. Scammers aren't going to go out and log into every single account that was compromised and scam using every one of them. What they're going to do is the people who got the data are going to sell off logins piecemeal to smaller scale scammers who are going to then use their evil ingenuity to invent new ways of scamming people using compromised eBay accounts. Just because nobody got into your account so far, doesn't mean it won't happen next week, next month, or even next year. If the data is out there, it will not go away.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I'm wondering if they are trying to hide information or make it sound better than it actually is so people don't panic and deposit everything from their paypal. Sounds pretty reasonable, especially since they haven't mentioned it yet, and was discovered weeks ago by them.

15. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Thank you Peter for the heads up. My ebay was hacked last year. Since I check my pp balance very often, I caught the thief in the process. I noticed $100's missing as they were in the process of emptying my pp acct. They were buying random expensive items from my ebay account and having them shipped to an address in Canada. The thief changed my "Gift address" to a Canadian one. I didnt even know I had a gift address. I contacted all the sellers and told them not to ship anything to Canada. I then called ebay and paypal as the thief was still buying stuff. They had me change this hidden gift account address, along with my passwords. I'm sure the thief was never caught, but I did get reimbursed rather quickly. Sellers should be more afraid of recieving a returned, not as described, box of rocks from scammer buyers. When this happened to me it tool ebay 6 months to return $500 of mine. I even had a police report because I took the "underweight" returned box to the station to have them open it and document the contents.

16. Burnside_Q

Burnside_Q Member

Yes, thanks for the heads up CT! I've got everything changed now.

17. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

18. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The database, (which eBay said was compromised), held eBay customer's names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth.

IMO, the encrypted passwords should be the least of our worries.

spock1k likes this.
  19. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

I always lie about my birthday, but the rest is disturbing.

20. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

If anyone steals my desktop, laptop, or backup hard drives they are certainly not going to get anything off of them because they all are encrypted with TrueCrypt. Hard drive encrypted, backup on-site USB hard drive encrypted, and second backup USB hard drive encrypted at off-site location.

21. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Easy there, James Bond. Self-destructs? My idiot cat has walked on the keyboard cover at the password prompt a couple of times - had he hit [return] 4 times I'd be pissed! (no shit - a few years ago he walked on the cordless phone I left on the floor and when I picked it up it had "991" on the screen - how do you explain that one if it had been "911" and "talk").

I too use a password file in Excel - but you have to get past the approximately 15 character password (cannot reveal length for security purposes) to get to it. There's roughly 80 characters on a standard keyboard so that's 3.5184372089e+28 possible combinations. Or about

combinations. Not Worried.

Draft saved Draft deleted