eBay & Paypal hacked

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by daveydempsey, May 21, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Bambooski, Okidoki, lucyray and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

4. halfdollardan

halfdollardan Active Member

It's ebay... enough said

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure whether the subject is accurate - eBay says that PayPal is not affected. But of course, if you happen to use the same password for both sites, it makes sense to change it "here" and "there" ...

Christian

6. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

Just changed my passwords on both.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Nothing is safe.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Thanks for the heads up. I change all of my passwords once a month. You can't be too careful.

lucyray likes this.
  9. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

If I did that, I wouldn't have time for anything else!!! o_O

Travlntiques likes this.
  10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I changed both my eBay accounts and my paypal account.

11. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

:mad: stupid hackers. nothing to gain from hacking paypal. The FBI will breach your door the next day.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ya know... for FIFTEEN YEARS, I had my real full name as my eBay user ID, and a spectacularly weak (five lower-case characters) password. Never a moment's trouble. I finally couldn't ignore the stupidity of it, and changed both a short while back (before this news hit, but apparently after the actual attack).

I've been seeing a pattern of bogus auctions for lots of three to six MS-70 gold moderns (Buffaloes or AGEs) over the last month or two. Always on an account with a long history (and good FB) of selling cheaper stuff, that had been inactive for a year or more; often with one or two recent positive FBs for single gold coins, presumably part of the fraud. I wonder if this is where they were getting the credentials to hijack the accounts.

13. rickmp

I do it for all of my accounts that have access to cash or personal identification. I use passwords with the maximum number of characters each site allows.
    It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to change them all. I use a password generator and storage program with no access to or from the web. I use passwords with the maximum number of characters each site allows.
    I only have to remember two passwords, one to access my computer a another to access the password program. I change those two on a monthly basis, also.

Travlntiques likes this.
  14. -jeffB

I've never had anybody break into any of my online accounts, but I have had a burglar steal every laptop in our house. Fortunately, I had my "main" laptop with me at work, and my wife had complete and up-to-date backups.

I do hope you have a contingency plan in case something happens to the basket that holds all your eggs, er, the computer that holds all your passwords...

15. rickmp

I do. I constantly back everything up to an external hard drive that is very well hidden.

And if my computer is ever stolen, I don't think anyone can ever get into it. 4 shots at the password. If you still haven't gotten it after 4 tries, the hard drive self destructs.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Travlntiques and lucyray like this.
  16. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I agree. I change mine when I wake up each morning and before I go to bed.

geekpryde likes this.
  17. -jeffB

That sounds secure, but I have to say that 4 tries would be too low a threshold for me. It's a bad day when I need four tries to get in, but not at all unheard of -- and the tension of knowing that "the next try may be my last" does nothing to improve my accuracy.

geekpryde and medoraman like this.
  18. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Changing passwords is fine but the fact that they stole personal info like names, addresses, & DOBs is more worrisome. Changing a password is not going to help with that. I hope Ebay steps up & offers identity protection/credit monitoring for everyone who was affected!!

19. rickmp

I keep the two passwords I have to remember written down and stored safely away. My wife knows where they are if the need (my death) should arise.

20. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

21. rickmp

Too much? I've been hacked. I won't let it happen again.

Draft saved Draft deleted