eBay Order Mailed with 50 Year Old Stamps!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Apr 12, 2021.

1. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Mkm5 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Some postal clerks are sticklers for every rule. Others don't know or don't care. I prefer to print my own labels and avoid them altogether.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A batch of coins and tokens arrived today in this time warp envelope.

Stamps.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    UncleScroge, Mkm5, SilverMike and 2 others like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Stamps are basically worth their face value. Before I retired I had several male customers come in with notebooks full of old stamps, back to the 1920’s. They would use them for postage. Very neat and they paid nothing out of pocket.

7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Check eba you can sometimes get the older lower denomination stamps for $0.50 to the dollar.

SilverMike likes this.
  8. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I deal with a stamp guy buying stampless folded actual letters. He sends them to me with old stamps all the time. I save the envelopes he sends the stampless letters in.

manny9655 and Mkm5 like this.
  9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

They buy stamps at 50% of face for postage.

philologus_1 likes this.
  10. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Just about everything the USPS has issued since World War 2 is worth face value or less. About the only ones worth saving are the high denomination (dollars) from the 50s and 60s. But I find it interesting that someone was using stamps from the 1920s. Some of them can be quite valuable.

11. manny9655

I used to be a stamp dealer, in fact, I still have some of my dealer stock. You guys are making me think about getting into it again. I'm near retirement age, maybe it will be a nice sideline. But I will never do approvals like I did 35 years ago. Too many rip-off artists out there. I didn't deal in US stuff much, it was mostly all foreign. But I'll ask you coin dealers out there: How did you start, and how do you buy coins wholesale? I note that one stamp wholesaler I used to do regular business with is still around...

12. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

So if "powered flight" was measured from the Wright Bros in 1903, that would put this stamp at about 1953 vintage. Cool.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  13. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I have bought stamps from dealers in the past and have received them with plate blocks for postage. Many times the post office does not cancell them. Don't know why.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sometimes a machine can’t cancel or it misses a cancel. Then it’s up to a Clerk or the Carrier to cancel them and they just get too lazy to do so.

15. manny9655

If they are really old ones (50s or earlier), they may not be phosphor tagged and the cancelling machines will miss them. The US didn't phosphor tag stamps until the early 1960s.

16. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Stamps from Germany I got yesterday. If anyone wants them PM me 20210425_172808.jpg

17. coolhandred24

coolhandred24 Member

Quite a few stamp auction companies send out their catalogs covered with old postage. They get many mint sheets and plate blocks with collections which are basically only good for postage.

A friend of mine regularly sells mint postage of odd denominations at 65% of face. The challenge is to get the proper amount of stamps on the letter.

Remember time is money and most dealers I know would rather put three .22 cent stamps on a letter rather than dig around for the proper postage.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

The dime made it "non-machinable" - there is a 20 cent surcharge for that.

But back to using old stamps. In the past year, I have used 14 cent prexies [that's 1938 vintage] - catalog over a dollar, but no gum, so a hassle to sell. And I bought them well under face.

manny9655 and Mkm5 like this.
  19. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

20210430_172808.jpg 20210430_165009.jpg Got more today, Italy and Canada

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  20. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

If you bought the first forever stamps at 41c on May 14, 2007 - in 14 years they've appreciated 34%

21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

after me Da' passed away, i found his loose postage, stuff with very little collectible value, some from the 20's and 30's i used em all in 1 year mailing ebay packages, especially priority ones, some had 40 stamps on em, they must of hated me at the post office, they have to cancel all by hand, lol

manny9655 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted