eBay Order Mailed with 50 Year Old Stamps!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

There's an Alfred Hitchcock short story about that!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

Like Kanga said. When I did mail-order, the old fashioned way, I would send my price lists using stamps that I bought at 70% of face, from stamp dealers, who would be making a profit at that rate..

SilverMike and Matthew Kruse like this.
  4. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Interesting!

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have thousands of the useless wallpaper. I group them for postage. Put all old Christmas stamps on Christmas cards. Used a bunch of bi-centennials for a post to an American Revolution Org. The USPS and the US Mint are going the same way - flood the market with useless garbage and hope the suckers will buy it. I got out of USPS collecting in 2001 and am out of the US Mint scams now.

UncleScroge and Matthew Kruse like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You never had to do that. You could always hire someone else to do it. ;)

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When I was going to local shows in person, there were usually at least one or two stamp dealers there selling common old postage for well under face value. I decided that now that I can print postage, it's not worth my time to try to save money that way. It is fun to see the old stamps, though.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  8. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

I routinely use old unused postage stamps for first class mail. Try to keep the number of stamps down to three commemoratives or four small size. Unfortunately I got stuck with a lot of six and eight stamps that I bought in the 60s and 70s. But the old Liberty Series stamps dress up envelopes nicely.

9. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’ve received several envelopes with old stamps.

10. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Me too!

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Inspector43

My wife's organization sends cards and gifts to ladies who serve in the armed forces overseas. I always put old patriotic stamps on them.

12. Inspector43

I saw an ad in a gun magazine by an old dealer in parts. He wrote that if you wanted a list just send him a SASE. I wonder how many readers picked up on that.

UncleScroge, Mkm5 and -jeffB like this.
  13. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

That’s nice, what is the organization called?

14. Inspector43

Daughters of the American Revolution. My wife is a member. I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. My wife also has direct links to the Mayflower and is in some of their groups.

Matthew Kruse and Mkm5 like this.
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Remember those round dishes with the wet sponge? Automatic stamp licking - just swipe the stamp across it, and viola!

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

What fun! I like to keep an eye out for those Mystic or Kenmore deals where you get 50 stamps for $1 or whatever. I've gotten well over the price paid in FV of old stamps, which I then use to send coins and letters in the mail.

Since these stamps are worth so little on the secondary market, I may as well use them in commerce.

Inspector43 and Mkm5 like this.
  17. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Probably not many anymore!

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

These a couple i saved... the canadian one surprised me had tracking and all didn't expect $15 in stamps on it lol and the other well not often i get russian stamps :D
    20210412_223713.jpg

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I might be getting interested in stamps again, those are pretty cool!

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Just thought of it, but I wonder how many lists that russian package put me on lol

Inspector43 likes this.
  21. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

If you want to see just how badly stamps have depreciated in recent decades, here's a great example I received in 2019.

Dansco Album Stamps _000073.png

SilverMike, Mkm5 and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted