EBay Listing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DUNK 2, Jan 19, 2019.

1. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Other than zero, what are the chances it’s real? :banghead:

CD0ECC8B-1FAB-41E4-9818-BAA9E1CECC72.jpeg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Everything that comes from Russia is 100% on the up and up....so I'm gonna say 100% :p

DUNK 2, rickmp and Kentucky like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I know this was in jest and there are way too many fakes coming from Russia. However, there are plenty of good sellers there too. I've bought a few foreign coins from Russia on eBay and each transaction was successful.

One just has to be diligent and know when something is too good to be true (like a Hawaii Cent for $40...just get it from Alibaba for $0.40 :D).

-jeffB and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Minus 1 that it's real.

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just got taken. New seller from the Russian Federation.
    upload_2020-4-15_12-20-53.jpeg

Excellent counterfeit of the second rarest variety.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Meaning you bought it first and then realized it was a counterfeit?
    eBay buyer protection should likely cover the case.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I honestly can't prove it's counterfeit. But the seller having impossible coins for sale at about the same price really tells the tale. I bought it after spending last night converting the nomenclature to something closer to the Sheldon Nomenclature.

My new listing for the 1847 Cents incorporate new Obverse and Reverse designations along with the Metcalf Nomenclature. The six varieties are:

Metcalf Obv Rev # offered Desc Rarity

2CC 1 1 A 3 crosslet 18' Second
    2CC 2 1 B 80 crosslet 15 7x8 Sixth
    2CC 6 2 B 2 plain 15 7x8 Rarest
    2CC 3 2 C 7 plain 17' Fourth
    2CC 4 2 D 5 plain 15 8x7 Third
    2CC 5 2 E 18 plain 13 Fifth

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/attribute-this.288976/page-57#post-4356338

ddddd likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

It would be a more expensive method, but one of the grading companies calling it not genuine/counterfeit would be one way.

Also, the weight or other specifications might prove to be conclusively off once in hand.

Finally, if you bought it just recently and it hasn't been shipped yet, you can ask for the sale to be canceled.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I admire those of you that buy sight unseen. This day and age it can cost you a lot of money. There was a time when sellers had better morals. Today they just trash the device and start under another screen name.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I have asked, but the Seller and all his listings have been removed. Contacting eBay with something not on their tree of issues is frustrating. It just assumes the seller is honest. I've had success in the past dealing with them, but I've forgotten how I made contact with them.

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

It might be time to just open a case. Getting through to eBay can be a long wait in normal times, but now it's likely even longer (and phone is the only method I know).

-jeffB likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If the seller and all listings have been removed, it's a sure thing that eBay has gotten other complaints, and it should be a slam-dunk for you to get a refund. They may not even require you to return it.

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I received a notice from eBay that the seller has cancelled the order per my request. I didn't expect to hear form him again after his listings were removed.

Since PayPal hasn't drafted my account yet, I'll have to wait and see. When I contacted PayPal, they indicated it was too late to cancel and suggested a return.

The coin has not been sent to me yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted