eBay Listing of a rare Caracalla Denarius.... real or fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Sep 26, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

This guy has few feedbacks, just 32 when I checked, all are positive though.

Looking through some of this guys coins.... they just do not look right, not just this one, but others.... so check out his store, I could be totally wrong and it could all be legit, but I am curious about this one coin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caracalla-A...60?pt=UK_Coins_Ancient_RL&hash=item23145e4c28

here is the link, it has a conjoined bust of Caracalla and Septimius Severus on one side, apparently seated on a crescent moon, the other side just has a normal portrait of a Caracalla Denarius.... any insight into this seller or this coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looking through all his coins, they all have the same look and seeing some of the empresses....theyre fake. The Marciana denarius was the kicker.

4. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Yeah I saw that Marciana one and it just didnt look right at all, some are fairly well done, like the domitian denarius, the portrait looks good, but all his coins have the same tone and the metal looks the same....

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The seller is also listed on the fake sellers list on Forvm, so thats the end of this topic, lol.

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Should the seller being not already on the NFSL, such a rare coin, moreover in good condition, listed on fleebay rings bells and shows red flags. Once again, when it's to good to be true...it is. Most probably

Q

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All the mentioned flags are correctly stated but there is an old basic rule that needs to be remembered. We can now call it Cucumbor's rule: If its too good to be true, it probably isn't true. The coins stands at about $40 while $400 would be a steal and $4000 a possibility. There are sleepers out there but most are coins that are rare and desirable but not flashy. Chances of finding a Jugate portrait high grade sleeper are similar to finding the winning lottery ticket laying in a parking lot.

8. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well put Doug, very good rule when it comes to this. I didn't know the coin type shown, but I knew that a coin type of the Severan period with conjoined busts was not a 'common' coin by any means, and would not likely be in such an auction, and after I looked at the other coins he was selling, that sealed the deal for me, they all had the same patina and metal look to them.... big red flags like you guys said.... still it is a shame someone paid USD 87 dollars for the one I linked to.... I just hope they weren't expecting the real thing :( I'm glad the seller is at least on some 'Fake Seller Lists' sadly though I expect this fool will be attempting to sell these fakes elsewhere in no time, and not all collectors are as knowledgeable as you guys when it comes to such things.

Thanks again everyone, ( dougsmit , Mat and Cucumbor ).

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

A big red flag for me is "Private listing. Bidders' identities protected."

Oh, how convenient.

guy

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Great point, I have never seen a private listing worth bidding on. Is there a way to filter these out of search results?

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There is a lot about eBay that would improve for me if I had full freedom to select search options. Certainly one would be eliminating Private Sellers and Private Feedbacks. I'd also rule out Indian sellers that only take Paisa Pay and any sellers from certain countries. There are some search options but eBay does not see it as in their interest for us not to see listings. Most helpful would be the ability to create a list of sellers whose offerings would not be displayed. After you have been in the hobby awhile, you realize there are people you would not order from if they were selling dollars for a cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted