eBay item sold to Puerto Rico...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pi man, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I just sold an item on eBay. The specifics say ships only to the lower 48, but it ended up selling to a guy from PR. What should I do? I've never had this happen to me before...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I would just ship as normal, since USPS service/rates to PR is the same as the 48... an 8 oz bubble mailer shipped first class is $2.24 whether it's going next door or to PR.

4. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I was always under the assumption that PR was a higher price to pay for shipping. Is there really no difference? The package is more like a bulky 8 lb box.

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ship it out, it's a US territory and the shipping cost is the same. If you don't want to sell to PR any longer just exclude PR on your list, easy fix.

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

PR is a US commonwealth, has it's own Olympic team - but otherwise for every other purpose is part of the USA - including the monetary and postal system.

8. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Just checked the actual weight and dimensions, and the price is only around $12.50 (there is a HUGE jump in price from 14" width to 16" width, and I originally miscalculated this towards the latter). I've always been weary about shipping outside the continental US, so thank you for this information.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

You don't have to worry about PR; in fact, I've had packages that were shipping to the west coast get routed through PR.

10. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

?
    Why would that happen? Isn't it anti-economical to have the package travel the extra distance out of the way???

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I Listed years ago on E Bay two items that were a GPS system, and fish /depth finder to Australia. I listed them as sold to U.S. only AS they were about the size of a 12 TV set not flat screen plus they had map cards with maps of the entire US East coast from Maine to Texas. I don't know how the guy purchased them but he did and paid for them right away! The two items had to be packed in two 2'x2' boxes and I shipped them to the guy it took 10 days USPS to the west coast of Australia. I still have no idea how he got around the bid/ purchase as like I said they were listed on e bay as US only! the shipping was $50.00 each and the buyer was just so happy to get them he paid it no questions asked.

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Of course it is... but when you ship a lot of packages, you would be amazed how some of them get routed.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Not necessarily. Depends on their travel route. It's the same reason I had to once fly through Virginia on my way from Buffalo, NY to Portland, OR.

14. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I had the settings on my listing to 'lower 48' only, but somehow he got around it and won. He paid immediately and did the same exact thing.

15. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Ok, so it's not the normality, but it can happen. I understand.

16. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Keep in mind there are FLAT-RATE Priority boxes that can be MUCH cheaper than a non-USPS box, and would allow 30, 40, or 50 pounds if it fits inside a USPS box.

For instance, the box that's approximately 12" by 3½" by 13½" known as the Medium Flat Rate Box, costs $12.35 regardless of weight, and a slightly larger box costs $16.85 - as far as I know, these prices are valid to Puerto Rico also, but you can check that by entering the Zip Codes at:

postcalc.usps.gov

Incidentally, you can cancel a sale by reporting the buyer as an ineligible bidder based on your listing data. I've done it.

17. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I usually ship with the flat rate boxes, but this particular item is much larger than the box would allow (around 10 inches).

I've heard of canceling the sale, but I don't want to be neg'd, and I could really use the money. Since the shipping prices are the same, it doesn't really matter to me, just next time I will specifically write in the description 'only ships to Continental United States'.

Thank you to everybody for the assistance. It was greatly appreciated.

18. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I don't think you get a neg for cancelling a sale based on CLEAR shipping restrictions. But I agree, it's good to keep the money and be done with it.

If you're shipping a printout of pi to 150,000 decimal places, I have nothing further to add. :D Think 355/113.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I do not understand.

When I "exclude" certain shipping locations, I get the following popup:

Shipping Exclusions.jpg

Limiting Buyer requirements offers nothing such as "lower 48" or locartion specifics.

Where are you excluding buyers that are outside the 48 states?

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Isn't the Large Flat Rate box a 12x12 box?

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

12" X 12" X 5.5" Up to 75 pounds ships for $16.85.

Draft saved Draft deleted