eBay issue

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 26, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Long story short, I purchased a small group of ancient coins for cheap (like $9 I think) on the 2nd of this month. Its coming from outside of the US and in my experience international packages don't take more than a couple of weeks. I've heard of stories of coins showing up months later, and I'd be understanding if that turned out to be the case, but since it was taking a little longer than I had anticipated (I don't even know where exactly its coming from, seller is listed as being in NYC but is using standard ship from outside US) I had messaged the seller the past weekend if he had a tracking number of some kind. No response at all so far. Any tips on what I should do? I was thinking of sending him a message saying I had sent a previous message, and that if the coin hasn't arrived and he/she hasn't responded back by next Monday (full 4 weeks after I made the purchase) so that we can discuss this issue, I will take this up with eBay. Does that sound too harsh?

Thank you guys in advance.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Open a case already. You've waited more than long enough without any communication. You've given the seller more consideration than he deserves.

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think that's too harsh. Just don't mention feedback in any of your messages, otherwise you won't be able to leave anything other than positive.

For me, for $9, I might have just written it off. In fact, I have a similar situation, except that I got the coin (a modern), and it has a blatantly obvious scratch that wasn't mentioned in the description and wasn't visible in the photos unless you knew there was a scratch there.

I decided it was not even worth my time to think about a return, but I will reconsider future purchases with this seller.

Alegandron likes this.
  5. ValiantKnight

Advice noted. Its not so much the coins themselves, its the fact that the seller is pretty much being uncooperative by not responding after I gave him like 5 days to get back to me, that's what I have a problem with. If he's on vacation or something, that should have been noted on his listing. If he's having a life crisis he should have messaged me that he has something going on and that as soon as its taken care of he'll send it. But nothing.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'd open a case as well, as long as you are past the "expected" date on ebay.

I had a similar situation once, I ordered a coin from a guy in "New York", and opened a case the day after the arrival estimate. It turned out the coin was coming in from Pakistan, not New York. This came out in the open case. Anyway, the coins arrived before the I had to escalate the case any further.

7. Paul M.

I had this happen once! I bought a coin from the Netherlands, and was shocked to find the package came from Bulgaria. The coin looked fine and arrived on time, and I have no suspicions it's fake. It just struck me as weird.

8. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

VK - My "kick in the pants" was an ebay Seller (pinkhaloangel) that sent a different coin than the one I purchased ($15). After weeks of his denial I decided that I was going to have at least $15 worth of "fun." Because I always pay immediately, he HAD to give me + feedback. I reported him to ebay and left "jarring", but appropriate, feedback. I also mentioned the Seller by name on both coin forums I participate on. I say you've given him the chance to be reasonable. He is not honorable. GO FOR IT! Jack

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Coins from Germany and Hong Kong take 5x weeks to get to me, (note) from date of payment.

They can Take 4 - 5 weeks from England, if sent as a parcel (package), but less than two if sent as a letter.

Postal times are getting longer these days rather than shorter. Because of the lengthening postel times 'Paypal' has lengthened their time for lodging a 'dispute' to accommodate this.

Where the seller is located and even where the 'item' is (supposed) to be located mean nothing on eBay any more (if they ever did).

I wish you well.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, amazing how slow your Posts are! HK is an EASY shipment via BOAT to your area, at least for my bidness!

11. Purchased some inexpensive cents from dealer who had a Canada address.
    I notified him since the items did not arrive. He said they were sent and I was very patient.
    Notified Paypal and proceeded through the process.

Weeks later, they did arrive. It must have been the Canada service.
    The coins had really been sent on time as the dealer stated.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Paul M.

I live in the US, but of all the postal services people have ever used to send me stuff (including USPS), I've had the most issues with Canada Post. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or this is a reflection on Canada Post.

13. tbc

tbc Well-Known Member

I've said it before but I'll say it again :) I live in a small rural village in England and the latest that tracked post arrives in O'Hare or JFK is two days from me posting.....they then sit at either of these places for anything up to two weeks:(

Mikey Zee and Paul M. like this.
  14. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

tbc - Any idea what is happening to the packages while they are sitting at O'Hare/JFK, for up to two weeks? Is that like a holding period to see if the packages implode? Just curious. By the way, what a blessing life has presented you to live in a small, rural village in England. I live 45 minutes from Disneyland, and I'm so darned jealous! Jack

15. ValiantKnight

Update!

The seller responded back to me earlier today. Without going into detail it turns out they did in fact have a life situation that kept them from being on the computer for a while, and that I should get back to him if they don't arrive within the next week.

If the coins don't arrive its not a big deal. I'm just glad the seller responded back in a friendly manner, and more importantly I hope that everything turns out ok for him :)

16. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

VK - You're a good man and you're handling this exactly right. We all have to deal with life events, and most of them are more serious than a $9 sale. I'm glad you were patient and waited to hear from him. Jack

Orfew likes this.
  17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

It is not you, it is Canada Post. I have received shipments from Germany faster than I have from within my own Canadian province.

New York city is seven hours from me by car. I once had a package from NYC take 4 weeks to get to me. It reached the border in one day and then took more than 25 days to be delivered.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. tbc

tbc Well-Known Member

None whatsoever.....

Security ? Processing resources ?

Worst I had was six weeks, fortunately it was tracked so the buyer (who was a long term customer) could see where it was at and was patient.
    It can be frustrating as speed of delivery obviously affects peoples perceptions but my thing is as long as it's not lost that's OK.
    Fortunately I've never had any delivery lost to the USA whether they be tracked or not which is also testimony to the honesty of my Ebay customers. They could easily say that they never received the parcel and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Good thing about this hobby is by and large the great and knowledgeable people you meet through it.

I might be rather jealous of where you live as well :)

19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Good Karma, VK! Good for being patient and understanding that there may had been life events out of everyone's control...

Paul M. likes this.
  20. ValiantKnight

Thanks guys. Its just the kind of guy I am. Got my parents to thank for that.

21. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

It's customs. Although, I can't figure out a rhyme or reason why one package will fly through and another sits for days or weeks. For instance, I had two separate packages sent from the UK arrive at Chicago ISC on the same day at the same time. I received one yesterday and the other is still at Chicago ISC in limbo. You'd think they would've both been delivered together.

Draft saved Draft deleted