eBay issue, how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sshafer11, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

By the way, may we all know the username of this eBay seller?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Probably sent the "Check" to cover his tracks and say the "Packaged coins" were shipped. Contact eBay immediately.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Agree. The envelope could be empty or it could contain a check for $1. More than liklely a bogus check.

If it is not signature required and simply ends up in your mail box, Carefully video tape the opening of the envelope. Practice on something but be sure to get a good quality video. Tracking information (i.e. delivery confirmation) is automatically added when a label is printed through PayPal.

It sounds like he's using that "tracking" to prove that he sent you "something" other than your coin in which case it will be difficult to prove that you didn't receive the coin. The goal is to try and make you feel comfortable without asking the appropriate questions to head off some wrong doing on his part.

Sounds really suspicious IMO.

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Maybe he wanted more info than you can get through sending paypal, for bad use. hat is why he wanted to refund you personally. With paypal the seller does not see much except for their address, if you do a personal refund than the seller and see more info about your bank account.

Those may be his plans all along.

Kasia likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"facing charges"

From whom?

your charge account people?

Sill statement, you can't be charged with anything by being defrauded.

7. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Federales.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

After seeing some of the other post, my opinion has changed.
    Open a case with ebay ASAP.

Mikey Zee and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't get it. Once the OP sent a PayPal payment, the scammer had his name and address (as you say). What more information would the scammer gain by sending a check and having OP deposit (or cash) it? I don't think we get any information back about the destination account when a check we write gets deposited.

No, I imagine this is simply a counterfeit or stolen check.

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Send the seller notification via the ebay system that you will refuse to cash the check and require a refund by PayPal. Get in touch with ebay, if needed, and describe the situation. Accept the envelope at the post office, but do not cash the check. If there is no response from the seller, initiate a claim through ebay/PayPal. You will not lose.

11. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

One other thing is if he entered that packages tracking number as the items on Ebay please contact Ebay immediately and provide them with your conversations. I see some others here have told you to refuse the package but if you do and that was the tracking entered for the supposed item you will lose your buyer protection on Ebay as a result of the refusal.

12. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

p.q.trader is the username of the fellow in question. He has 1 negative and 1 neutral in the last month. I appreciate everyone's advice though. This one definitely didn't seem right from the start. I called eBay and they said to forward all his emails to their scam report email, and if I open the package and it doesn't contain the item then I can open an item not received case.

13. -jeffB

Okay, that's interesting. I don't see any of the normal signs of fraud -- no sudden change in the types of items sold, no surge of activity after a long period of inactivity. He might be legit -- but if he is, the way he's trying to make things right is really clumsy, and I still wouldn't go along with it.

I'd likely send him a note something like this:

"I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, and I appreciate your efforts to make things right. However, I'm sure you'll understand that I'm reluctant to take the risk of accepting a check from an unfamiliar party, instead of using the standard and risk-free PayPal refund mechanism. I'm returning your check; please issue me a PayPal refund. If you'll do that, it will save us both the annoyance of an eBay dispute. Thanks for your attention."

Mikey Zee, Kasia and green18 like this.
  14. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

Here is his original email to me:

Dear Sam; You are the third buyer in this group of nine Morgans to turn up missing. only the maids and nurses have access to my locked desk. Police said the lock shows no damage or signs of being forced. They said they have no way to help without more to go on I hope you will accept a full refund plus $20.00 for your trouble. James morning phone XXX-XXX-XXXX

Yes, there is a chance he is just being a really clumsy seller, but I'd prefer not to take my chances.

15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Elaborate stories and providing a lot of detail are usually red flag to me.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I stand corrected . . . don't refuse delivery. I didn't realize doing so would negate your buyer's protection. Instead, ask the Postmaster to witness you opening the package, and if he / she would give a sworn affidavit if the contents are not as expected.

17. -jeffB

That seems a bit overboard. The OP already has email from the seller saying that the package will contain a check, not the coin. As far as I know, eBay never requires that level of proof (witness/affidavit) for a SNAD claim.

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Banks "usually" charge the depositor if they deposit a check that was drawn on "insufficient funds" (o.e. bounces) or is bogus.

Coinchemistry 2012, Kasia and Paul M. like this.
  19. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Here's my ebay issue for today. Inept seller packaging products incorrectly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426872483.999607.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426872499.139172.jpg

Needless to say. No coins. I just made a video of my unpacking, but here's another photo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426872547.164706.jpg

Didn't even seal the inner envelope. This seller either scammed me or made it incredibly easy for an unscrupulous postal employee to take the contents.

So glad I had foresight to video the opening and to notice the beat to heck edges.

Mikey Zee, carboni7e and coinman1234 like this.
  20. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Sorry, What you say makes since. I was thinking of a different circumstance.

21. jonny oneal

jonny oneal Member

Suggestions to contact ebay and paypal are worthless. Those twined companies always decide a dispute in favor of the seller or, perhaps, a buyer if it means they will make more money. Their definition of a coin being "delivered" is it was put on your porch or wherever your mailbox is. If someone takes it before you get home: too freaking bad. It was delivered to you even though you never got it. That is why I do not use ebay. Also, the prices sellers want for coins do not reflect the devaluation of gold and silver from two years ago. The u.s. mint is even worse: it wants $139.99 for the 2014 limited edition silver set, mintage of 50,000, and the silver in it is worth about $39.02 on 3/20/15, when silver has "rebounded" to $16.77. what a premium for that set.

Draft saved Draft deleted