eBay issue, how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sshafer11, Mar 19, 2015.

1. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

The other day I purchased a coin via auction. The next morning the seller messaged me to say all his coins were stolen and he was sending a refund check in the "paypal mailer" including a $20 credit for the inconvenience. He sent this to me a standard email outside of eBay rather than an eBay message.

Do I have to wait for the package to arrive and do an item not received, or can I call customer support now and explain the issue. It seems to me like this is probably a scam of some sort. Why would he not just do a refund through paypal if his story was true?

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Have you bothered to ask the seller this question? If not, that might be a fine place to start.

4. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

I did, and asked him politely to fund via paypal. He didn't respond. But he has attached tracking to the package so my "check" is already on the way.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Strange. I would not cash the check and open claim. This cant be acceptable with ebay.

Amanda Varner and Mikey Zee like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Possibly 'sellers remorse'? With some extra sweetener?

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Possibly a "refund check" from a stolen checkbook?

8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Hijacked ebay account? I would be wary and contact eBay immediately.

Amanda Varner and bkozak33 like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Watch the guys feedback on ebay and wait for whatever he sent you. You have time to open a case if needed.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Yes, be careful trying to cash that check. If it's a fake, you might end up facing charges. The very least you should do is verify that it's drawn on a legit bank and that funds are available. And, I'd report the whole thing to eBay, just in case.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Tell eBay you suspect the check was laced with Arsenic and you aren't feeling well about it.

Amanda Varner, Kasia, green18 and 4 others like this.
  12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Heck of a scam loosing money. And he is making it worse not refunding via PayPal. Be careful, but you have 30 days to file after the eBay estimated receipt date. If he really was robbed, why beat him up when he is down. At least give him a shot at making it right.

Mikey Zee, Gilbert, NOS and 1 other person like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You've just sent a stranger (say) $100 via PayPal for merchandise. Now, he says the item is no longer available, and for your trouble, he'll send you a check for $120, also eating his own eBay and PayPal fees. What's wrong with this picture?

Would you cash a check for $100 from a stranger? If he offered to write you a $120 check for $100 cash, would that make you feel more confident about taking the check?

"If he really was robbed," his best "shot at making it right" is to give you an immediate PayPal refund. If he wants to compensate you for your trouble, he can then send you a little something extra in the mail. I've tried and tried, but I can't think of any above-board reason for sending you a check rather than a PayPal refund (and communicating about it outside eBay).

Contact eBay about this tonight. He may be trying to scam others, and the longer it takes anyone to contact eBay, the longer he can get away with it.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Maybe the guy did not have enough in his account to cover the refund.

15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with any check, just wait and then open a case with Ebay when the item passes it's delivery date and hasn't arrived. That way you have no issues with a fake check or who knows what else this person could be trying to pull. I'd just follow the procedures as they are on Ebay and tell the seller that's exactly what your going to do.

Mikey Zee and Paul M. like this.
  16. jnel92

jnel92 New Member

Ive had this happen to my friend its a scam where they post an item make up a story where the item ks no longer available and get your money out of ebay and sends you a fake check and boom there you go your stuck with a fake check and possibly trouble and he makes away with your hard earned money report imediately you can always cancel your claim for fraud good luck i hope it works out for you!!!!!

-jeffB and Paul M. like this.
  17. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

Be very careful....I would refuse delivery if you have to sign. Would be proof for him that you accepted his package, regardless of whats inside. I would open a case with eBay.

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Doesn't make any sense to be honest. If he refunded by paypal, he would not be hit by paypal's fees.

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just so I understand correctly; this guy entered the tracking info into ebay as if this was your purchase being shipped? Was this done after you contacted him to request a normal paypal refund? If so this certainly seems questionable, especially since you only have an outside of ebay email as evidence of what he has told you. May I, respectfully, of course, ask if this was a costly "purchase", and if this person has made many recent "sales"?

Amanda Varner and Del Ihle like this.
  20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Wait. People still use checks?

Seriously though, this is suspicious any way you slice it. Call eBay customer service and explain the situation to them and see what they recommend.

Amanda Varner, Mikey Zee and Paul M. like this.
  21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I would carefully describe all of your communications to eBay, and refuse delivery of the package. If he gets proof of delivery of an empty package addressed to you, he may convince eBay that he has fulfilled his obligation, and may keep your money.

This appears to be an innovative scam, and will likely be copied by others unless the ebay community catches on quickly.

- Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted