Ebay Internet Sales Tax Update-FYI

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Feb 26, 2020.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I can report that based on a coin I bought recently the glitch for Illinois tax seems to have been fixed. Back in January I (an Illinois resident) sold a few coins to other Illinois residents and they were charged tax, even though coins are not taxed in Illinois. But when I bought a coin a few weeks ago I was not charged tax.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I have yet to be taxed on coins or bullion in PA. Other things, like books and Air-tites and dime/quarter savers, yes.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. frech001

frech001 New but Old

I discovered another flaw in eBay's sales tax program that computes sales tax, (at least for Minnesota) that includes the shipping charge. Minnesota does require that sales tax be included on the full price including shipping charge. However, if like my listings, you offer reduced combined shipping for multiple purchases when they are invoiced together, eBay's invoice calculator fails to reset the sales tax on the reduced shipping fee that is actually invoiced to a buyer. This results in ebay charging more sales tax on the sale than is warranted for the combined final charge to the buyer. I'm hoping eBay corrects this program oversight soon, but it has been 10 days since I notified eBay of this program error and have sent two emails to one of their lead technicians and still no reply. If you offer a reduced shipping fee on combined invoices, watch out for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted