eBay Feedback

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cmbdii, Mar 19, 2005.

1. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

Feedback

Ok time for a pet peeve!! :mad:

ON E-bay as many of you are aware there is a feedback procedure,
    I always left feedback so that other collectors could feel safer in doing business with an individual.
    As of late I have been running into more and more people that will not leave feedback. This really irks me to the point that as a buyer I will not leave feedback until they do the same. I believe that the seller has the responsibility to leave feedback once payment is received and cleared.
    The buyer upon inspection and acceptance needs to do the same or try and iron out any differences. These sellers (Are you one?) that claim they are to busy are lame and need to either stop selling or realize that a complete transaction is warranted.
    Effective today I have notified all that have not left me feedback for transactions over 30 days old I will leave Neutral feedback stating that they do not leave feedback!! I will not lie, However I will let other collectors know that these people do not care enough about their businesses to finalize a good transaction.

What think you??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ageka

ageka New Member

Big vendors may not leave feed back for several reasons

1) they are overbilling on shipping and they are afraid that
    you will tell this in a neutral or negative feedback
    2) there is something not on the up and up
    like I bought a 1984 olympic 10 dollar photographed in the sealed plastic and when I got the coin the coin had been ripped out of the plastic on the backside not visible in the photo
    Now I had return privilage and of course got no feedback
    3) unfortunately some of the big dealers got a negative from somebody buying for 1 dollar and complaining on the packaging or cost or whatever
    and they stopped giving feedback first

But I agree
    I only put vendors in my prefered category if they give feedback first

4. Bluesmanmoney

Bluesmanmoney New Member

Bobcat46,
    I am frustrated too, I have noticed and felt a completely different ( or indifferent ) attitude from the people I'm dealing with for about the last two months. Like you I always leave immediate positive when someone pays me. it use to be folks would email you and I've made several friends by corresonding back and forth, now you'll be lucky to get a response on a personal level at all. I email a personal Thank you to most all of my customers to acknowoledge my sincere Thanks.

I dunno, but I personally think all folks should start treating each other with more respect and openess. No wonder so many people feel isolated.

Best to all, sincerely.
    Shan........................................bluesmanmoney

5. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I don't have much to add, except to agree. I don't deal in coins on eBay for the most part, but do sell many of my Colorado Rockies season tickets on eBay. I still have a 100 percent feedback rating, but it bothers me when I don't get feedback.

I have won coin auctions from a large Canadian company, and they always leave positive feedback, although sometimes it takes a while.

:) :)

6. Steve E

Steve E New Member

I always leave feedback whether selling or buying, just common courtesy as far as I'm concerned. At times I have been ignored when asking that they (seller/buyer) return the favor. Some people just don't care.

I also hate that ebay doesn't count feedback from a repeat seller/buyer. I don't get the "unique" thingie. To me a transaction should count even if it is from the same seller or buyer.

7. jody526

jody526 New Member

No question about that.

Thanks. That was very helpful.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it though. People have their reasons for leaving/ not leaving feedback.

That's totally up to you. You don't have to leave feedback.

Nope. Feedback is voluntary.

Sounds good, but that's not the way it works in real life.

No.

That's certainly ONE opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.

Fair enough. You understand, of course, that for every neutral that you leave, you will receive a negative in return.

I think you have stated your position quite clearly.

8. Metalman

Metalman New Member

All feedback counts just not to your score that is posted by your ID, but down in the corner on the left hand side you will see a catagory for all positive feedback given,, I always check that when Im shopping for a seller and when Im dealing with a buyer, Oh by the way, I always leave feedback, but that is just my choice and not a requirement I dont send an email to all of my buyers but I do use a thank you insert in the envelope with the order with next weeks Items on it for a heads up and a thank you.

Rick

9. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I am a relatively small time Ebay dealer and feedback is important to me. Neither party should leave feedback until the transaction is completed and it is the buyer who determines when a transaction is complete.

The buyer’s responsibility does not end when payment is made. The buyer is also obligated to let the seller know if the transaction was satisfactory or not. If it was, the deal is done and feedback is left. If not satisfactory, the seller is obligated to make it right and the buyer is obligated to give them a chance to do that. Sellers cannot leave feedback until the buyer discharges them from any further obligation in the transaction. Once the sellers know the transaction is finished, they can leave feedback.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

< I also hate that ebay doesn't count feedback from a repeat seller/buyer. I don't get the "unique" thingie. To me a transaction should count even if it is from the same seller or buyer. >

The reason eBay did it that way was so you couldn't shill your feedback number up real high easily. If every feedback counted and not just unique ones you could get a second acount or a friend to buy a bunch of minimum cost auctions from you, give you a feedback for each and give you a high feedback plus a high % positive rating. (Someone gives you a neg, your friend pops in and gives you a bunch of positives to keep your rating up.)

With the unique feedback only counting, then if you have a high feedback number and a high positive rating it means that you have been able to please a LOT of people and not just a few many times. Think about it. Who woud you rather do buisiness with, someone who can make a few people happy many times, or someone who can satisfy most everyone who deals with him and who deals with many people?

11. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

Jody
    Trust me, At my age and after 50 years of collecting and all of my other experiences in life I UNDERSTAND!!
    I also understand that courtesy is going down the drain,

I am also prepared to counter any negative feedback and if they are so LAME and lazy to leave feedback I don't think they are really ready to get into a contest.

Hee Hee It almost appears that you are attempting to chastise me??

Perhaps I am wrong and apologize if I am incorrect.

Your post shows me where collecting has gone in the last 20 years if you condone this type of action.

12. Ciscokid

Ciscokid New Member

Well just out of curiosity I looked at the feedback statements on me. I have been a member since 1999, I have left 109 feedbacks ALL positives, I have received 100 positives, but since many have left ebay, my "legit" score today is "79". :cool: No negatives either direction, which puts me at 100%.

Does it upset me when I buy or sell that "they" don't leave a feedback? Initially yea, today now? I don't care really. At my age if I'm a buyer just look at the history is all I say. As a seller, I again say read the history, you get what I promised and you get what you pay for..So far, the few times a transaction was not what either expected, the situation was resolved where nuttin was said, sometimes it is better that way, other times I still left a positive feedback, like I got my money back--trust me.. ;) It is better to work it out if possible. I think I would be upset, if our deal went well and you left me a neutral, THAT certainly will not get you any kind of feedback--that my friend is for sure-- :eek: Be ashured tho, I have always left feedback whether the seller & or buyer left one or not--I will not play that game, Ima to old fer it... :p

13. midwestcoin13

midwestcoin13 New Member

Really as a buyer on ebay it doesn't annoy me much if I dont get feedback.I dont know why it just doesn't annoy me.Now when I have sold and the person doesn't leave feedback that likks me.

Now I have sold on ebay a few times.To be exact to 5 different people.This was all at the same time so I left them all positive feedback once they paid.then when two people didn't leave feedback it really annoyed me.So I have now adopted the you leave me feedback i leave you feedback policy.

tell me bobcat do you have a problem with this kind of policy?Also it would be nice to know what others think of this policy.Actually I think I will just start a thread about it. :D

14. MorganFred

MorganFred New Member

I'm also one of those who feels the eBay feedback system as it is presently constructed is deficient, ineffective, and subject to manipulation. I also give feedback on every auction, but receive feedback on only about 60% of my sales; most of those who fail to give me feedback are relative newbies, but their reasons for not doing so are probably as varied as their numbers. I'm not gonna try to change human nature, so I don't brood on it. As a seller, I give feedback as soon as I receive the money; IMHO, the buyer has kept up his part of the transaction. As a buyer, I give feedback as soon as I receive the item and am satisfied with it. And I have an intense distaste for sellers who wait until my feedback is posted before they post theirs. Feedback extortion is the major weakness of the system and eBay has made it clear they have no intention to change it. As it stands right now, a buyer's or seller's feedback is the only means for determination of their integrity and reliability. The system needs changing; perhaps a withholding of feedback posts until both parties have posted such that one feedback will not affect the other.

15. midwestcoin13

midwestcoin13 New Member

Ahhhhh so that is what they call it.I call it fair enough.If a seller wants feedback they should give feedback.If they dont leave feedback obviosly they dont want it back.

16. MorganFred

MorganFred New Member

Yes, exactly so. This situation is nothing more than a sales - customer relationship and we all know the customer is (almost) always right. As an absurd example, if Walmart were to grab the customer's money at the register, but wouldn't give them the purchases until the customer said they were happy with their items, how long would Walmart stay in business?

17. midwestcoin13

midwestcoin13 New Member

That is an absurd example indeed and you kind of missed the boat with that example for it doesn't have a relationshiop to what you are trying to say.The fact is with the feedback the buyer gets his item then the buyer is supposed to leave feedback.While you may think the fedback policy I speak of is rude or something you have to admit it is unfair for a seller to leave feedback then the buyer leaves nothing.While you may think the policy of you leave me feedback I leave you feedback is unfair I believe the leaving of feedback then geting none in response is more unfair.When both parties leave feedback all is okay.But when the seller leaves feedback with none in return who is geting the raw deal there?

18. MorganFred

MorganFred New Member

No, that is not what I am trying to say, if I understand you right. My point related to feedback extortion, not to simple one-sided feedback posting wherein only one party leaves feedback. This latter is a minor problem compared with FB extortion; it's better to receive no feedback at all than negative feedback because the other guy gave a negative feedback first (whether it was deserved or not). While I don't particularly like issuing positive feedback as a seller and then getting none in return that I feel I earned, I don't lose any sleep over it whereas I don't at all like the idea that as a buyer, the seller won't give me feedback until I have posted for him first; the seller then reciprocates with whatever I gave him. Sellers have the advantage. EBay states on each completed auction page as seen by the seller, "Leave feedback for xxxxxxx if you have already received payment for this item.". This tells me eBay's INTENT is for the seller to leave feedback first, not last.

19. midwestcoin13

midwestcoin13 New Member

I think you deserve a reward for coming up with the creative name FB exthortion.My guess is you have sold on EBAY many times and when you sell many times on EBAY after awhile you dont care you become teflon to it.It is just that after my first selling expierence I wanted all the feedback possible to boost my seller cred.Personally when I have bought wich I have done a lot it doesn't bother me only when I sell does it bother me.

20. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Thats a good point Fred and it is backed up by the first to complete His end of the sale is the Buyer, since I dont know of any Ebay sellers who will ship their Item out before payment is made.

Rick

21. jody526

jody526 New Member

I can believe that, and also agree with you totally.

Not at all, my friend. I am mearly responding with my own thoughts on the subject. I enjoy a good discussion, and I count your opinions to be just as valid as my own.

It's not that I condone sellers who withold feedback. There's little doubt as to why they do it, and this stuff about "transaction not yet complete" is simply laughable.
    My point is that feedback is of no importance to me, as a buyer. I couldn't care less if another seller ever leaves feedback for me. It simply can't benefit me.
    Believe me, Im with you all the way when it comes to common courtesy and treating people right. I just have to face the facts when it comes to buying from people I don't know on eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted