Ebay fakes! Two consecutive ones!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by joecoincollect, Apr 6, 2022.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I bought a group of coins the other week, and when they arrived I saw a seam around the Nero!! Got a partial refund. Then won an auction for a large Justinian follis, the big ones that go for 80-100 and it turned out to be made of something brittle and silver- the “coin” looked just funny upon receiving, too light, and the edges too uniform. Was able to break it in half with my bare hands! I contacted seller, and will see what he says about the pics. I told him this coin is not copper/bronze!! Not sure about the rules on here, but if I can alert you about the seller, I will. So upset! 82BC5CF5-CDD4-4B44-AEEF-8EC59CAE25D7.jpeg C6ED28A6-5BD4-4B3E-863A-73D4E3D11F18.jpeg 8C142354-D93D-48ED-BE20-888D48337C6A.jpeg 646B9081-6D83-4129-9538-6276C33C5A49.jpeg

ArtDeco, ominus1, Factor and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Why only a partial refund? That's the big question, IMO.

Alegandron and octavius like this.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

It is considered good etiquette to provide the names of fake sellers so other people can avoid them. So by all means tell us who sold you those ridiculous fakes.

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

If you are not familiar with Byzantine bronzes, I suggest you start collecting through purchases from sellers listed on VCoins. You'll likely pay much more through VCoins than you would with the so-called "bargain" sellers on eBay (perhaps this is too nice a term for them), but you're getting coins backed by reputable dealers.

There's also MA Shops, but the vast number of dealers listed there are European, so there could be shipping delays and other issues, but MA Shops is another good source nonetheless.

Alegandron, Restitutor, sand and 3 others like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Now, I'm not saying those aren't fakes but, why would anyone try to break an ancient coin thinking that if you break it is not ancient???

7. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

By now I recognize that Byzantine follis immediately, even with the fake weathering and not seeing the reverse: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/byzantine-fakes.350625/

I hoped those particular fakes had dried up, but I keep seeing new variations. They finally started making them out of actual crackers! At least the ones from the 2019/20 wave were metal. I guess the forgers now don't even care if you know it's fake on arrival, just as long as it can pass in a photo. (Now that we have metal paints you can make paper and plastic look like solid bronze.... just won't feel like it in hand, especially when it crumbles.)

That's quite brazen. Hope you get your refund! Don't let it get your hopes down. It's just time to readjust your buying strategy a bit. Onward and upward!

8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

As far as eBay is concerned, you should get a full refund, period. Select "not as described" for the reason you're requesting a refund.

You have photos of the coins, so apply for a refund and provide the photos when you do.

9. joecoincollect

after handling thousands of ancients so far, when you come across a fake like these, they scream at you fake. It was more than a hunch when I broke that sad puppy :)

Alegandron likes this.
  10. chaparralian

chaparralian Active Member

Absolutely. Full refund, and file a complaint! Even though Ebay is notorious for allowing junk like this to be sold, you should still register a complaint. It's not about the money at this point.

svessien and joecoincollect like this.
  11. joecoincollect

I appreciate that. I’ve bought tons of coins on ebay and lucked out till these two came across. I’ll have to check vcoins out then, since ebay can run dry of good stuff sometimes

12. joecoincollect

645A2002-1424-4D8A-903B-42442EF7749A.png 2CDFF926-F02D-4751-BFC0-9E59D052E97C.png
    first pic is seller of Byzantine fake- as you can see he has great feedback. Second seller salted a lot of 7-8 coins with that Nero fake. I tried to leave negative feedback for the latter but it said i had to wait 7 days. I emailed him in the meantime and he responded i could get any single coin for a dollar, so i chose a 20 dollar one which seemed about fair. The other guy I’m waiting for his reply but will look into getting a full refund. Thanks everyone for your support and not ridiculing me outright

Alegandron and Curtis like this.
  13. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

A fake of a fake! The versions of this that were around 30 years ago were bronze, attractively patinated and fairly convincing.

joecoincollect and Curtis like this.
  14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

100% positive feedback on ebay means nothing....

There are good eBay ancients sellers, some even post here. There are threads listing the good ones if you search.

joecoincollect and ominus1 like this.
  15. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Yikes! I'll stick to graded coins; preferably NGC/PCGS (Gold Shield if possible).

joecoincollect likes this.
  16. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

There are fake PCGS & NGC slabs out there to. So, buyer beware.

joecoincollect and Theodosius like this.
  17. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

The big problem with sellers like this isn't the fakes you recognize, but the fakes you don't know you have. Most large serious collections (whoever the collector buys from) will have at least one unrecognized fake, and ancient coin collectors have to make peace with that. But, the less professional your sources of coins, the more unrecognized fakes you'll end up with.

As this shows, sellers can easily have 100% positive feedback who are either grossly incompetent or acting in bad faith.

Sounds like fair resolution on the "Nero," albeit unorthodox, with the advantage you get to keep the fake for your "black cabinet" (I've been occasionally adding to mine over 20-30+ years).

joecoincollect and Theodosius like this.
  18. Covered in thick black lacquer looks like. Yea, been there. Though mine was a cull/slug with a fake pic.

19. joecoincollect

im guessing to pass the first-impression of a collector’s scrutiny means they only do that for higher-end Roman or Greek ancients? (i.e., in my opinion something over $100). I’d imagine it’d cost that much, or maybe less to allow some profit for the skilled artist! I’m a collector of all things numismatic ;) jk, It’s illegal but not in China, sometimes elsewhere where they originate after our nation’s 1970’s law outlawing unmarked forgeries of coins and I believe other numismatic collectibles. Sorry, you probably know this, just wanted to vent a bit and share in the event you also buy on eBay. Maybe it’s bad in other auction sites, I don’t know. Thank you kindly for your time and please see my next post for yet another one that arrived today :(

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Agreed.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

@joecoincollect

Draft saved Draft deleted