Ebay ending coin sales by 2021

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Casman, May 23, 2020.

1. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Well, I've been listing coins for years and I am clueless as to what it is.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I heard of this recently too. I am a little saddened, and I hope that a way to continue buying coins on eBay will be found. I also love the hunt for coins on eBay.
    I second this. Instagram has a considerably large coin community and I see many sales and transactions going on there. I personally think that Instagram will be one of the next big coin purchasing sites.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I can buy a pencil sharpener from you from your email and pay for it with PayPal. If I don't personally know you I may not want to buy an expensive coin with PayPal, but I could. You don't need eBay to make PayPal work.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  5. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I've done that with buyers who got something from me one time on ebay, liked my lots and did repeat business with me over email. Though I have not done that yet with a complete stranger.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I personally exclusively use Facebook, but I am increasingly tempted to create a Instagram account

NSP and SorenCoins like this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

So they ditched a company/division with the name "PayPal" to partner with a payment company called "Adyen" ? :wideyed:

Remind me never to use Ebay's marketing division.....:D

philologus_1 likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Investor Carl Icahn bought enough control of eBay a few years ago and forced a spin-off of PayPal, making a fortune in the process. Whether it as good for eBay or not was totally beside the point.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

My most expensive coin purchases were made through email. There are alot of dealers on Facebook who sell or advertise there. They are also the same guys who have brick and mortar stores or set up at coin shows. I met most on social media and then visited with them either at a show or in their shop. There are shysters everywhere and with a little research you can weed them out.

Santinidollar and Inspector43 like this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Many have always believed that eBays success has been just because the idea was so good no matter much much they continually mismanage it.

If eBay could actually make this work many sellers would happily switch over to a new payment system since paypal decided to not refund fees one returns, and is charging fees for the entire transaction which includes and taxes the buyer is paying where the seller doesn't see a cent of that money.

Now if eBay nukes the coins and some other categories in the process of doing so they're even dumber than we thought, wouldn't really change anything you'd just see coins listed in a whole bunch of different categories

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Buying and selling coins on eBay without buyer or seller protection? Sure, I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

Coins and Paper Money apparently isn't a huge part of eBay's traffic, but Automotive amounts to more than 10% of sales. I can't quite see them cutting THAT off.

I've sworn off eBay before, but I kept coming back. They've already crippled Coins and Paper Money by making it ineligible for gift-card purchases and most (all?) promotions. If they cut it off completely, I'm not sure what will bring me back to the site. Maybe unloading some lab equipment that I need to get out of the house, but they sure won't be seeing the traffic from me that they have in the past.

SorenCoins likes this.
  12. baseball21

Which is the key and why if they have any brains they'll change it before launch. We all know how understanding coin buyers are known to be, there's no chance they won't pull all their business (buying and selling) from the site for losing something that they want to be there :p

Even if coins are only 3-4% of revenue, coin buyers are generally more affluent and likely account for much more than that when factoring in their total site activity.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Danomite likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And even if they aren't, I don't think eBay is in a position to just discard even one or two percent of their revenue.

Although I do see that Coins and Paper Money and eBay Motors have significantly lower FVF percentages for those with stores. And I have no idea how bad the Buyer/Seller Protection situation is in those categories; they may be money-losers for all I know.

14. baseball21

The only way they would be money losers would be through pure self inflicted incompetence of allowing bad buyers to constantly scam them and the games they play with what listings they show to different people.

It's not like the stores are exactly cheap either, the cheapest one that's really worth anything is about $280 a year. I wouldn't be surprised either if it was one of the categories most likely to used their promoted listings

15. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I know that those that signed up for managed payments have had their running coin listings pulled and have regretted it. After signing up, they can’t list coins. I started selling in 2006 and only have $250K in coin sales but if they don’t make changes they are of no use to me.

16. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Right on. But hey? Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I tend not to believe posts that are full of typos like, te instead of the, and won'tbe as one word.

Inspector43 likes this.
  18. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Ah, the age of entitlement and hurt feelings.

19. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

How’s this one? I didn’t write it but here’s a clip from Ebay policy page, no typos.

154383DB-11BE-48A0-B2E6-A963506D17E1.png

20. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Looks like the real deal!

21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

So the only source for this is a thread started three months ago by a single person on eBay's discussion forum, was not corroborated by eBay, and people are panicking? I've seen references to this thread from elsewhere, too. I'd advise blowing this off until something comes from a credible source.

Draft saved Draft deleted