Ebay Debacle...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TaborTot22, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

I collect US Proof Sets and was looking to purchase a 1956 flatpack still in OGP (cellophane and yellow envelope). I found the following item on Ebay and sent my Best Offer. The seller accepted it. Here are the pictures of the item according to the Ebay auction:

[​IMG][​IMG]

After a few days, I received my item yesterday but was surprised to see what the contents were. Here is the item I received from the seller:

1956ps.jpg 1956psback.jpg

After contacting the seller, he said that he took the coins out of the cellophane and put them in this plastic case since he didn't have an original yellow envelope. According to him, he was "trying to solve a problem instead of creating one". :( Ugh. I am returning the coins ASAP.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

... man, what a lose...

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Yep return under snad

Bret Swanie likes this.
  5. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

Looks like bait and switch to me.......If he moved the coins from the OGP to that crappy holder, he could have at least put the coins in straight....... this one stinks to high heaven.....

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't think they are the same set. The half dollar has obvious rim toning on both sides in the plastic case, yet the poor images of it in the OGP show a white coin.

7. TaborTot22

Here my main question... When all is returned and refunded, what should I do about feedback? Positive feedback for getting my refund, negative feedback for sending not what I bought, or neutral?

8. Soapy Smith

Soapy Smith New Member

Negative feedback - item not as described would be what I would do. The item pictured and described in the auction is not what you received.

That's really sad.

9. Bill nailed this one. Obvious bait and switch. The coins look different to me...toning vs. white. It is up to you with regards to feedback, but I would wait until you get refund before leaving any comments.

10. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

The seller had 2 sets for sale, one in ogp and the one you bought. He sold the first one and thought the ogp is not so important, maybe he doesn't know or care for ogp.

Might have been an honest mistake, didn't think you would get upset about it.

Has he agreed to pay for return shipping? Is he trying to solve the problem? If yes to both, no need for negative imo.

11. onecenter

onecenter Member

Glad to see you are returning the set that was not as advertised. A discerning collector always knows what they are supposed to receive.

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I don't know what's funnier, his excuse....or the case. lol

JPeace$ and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Tom! This is an obvious "bait and switch". I don't care what the seller claims. He's a liar!

Chris

JPeace$ and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Would you ever trust this seller again? If you let it slide, he'll just do it again to someone else. Give him what he deserves.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. TaborTot22

I don't know who is paying for return shipping but as soon as I stayed the return process, eBay sent me the shipping label without a charge. It's either eBay or the seller (probably the seller). The seller is accepting my return and wrote "sorry that the item didn't meet my specifications". Haha... Really? Yeah, they weren't my specs because the item want what was presented.

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps you (or anyone) could post a link to the listing?

I love how so many on this board are so quick to condemn the seller basedupon so little information. This is not to say I question the OP, but eBay is nothing more than a massive internet yardsale where anyone and everyone can sell most anything, so by all rights this should be taken into consideration before passing judgement, and this is where viewing the original listing comes into play. If the guy is a regular coin seller, then commin sense dictates that he certainly should have known better, but if just some poor schmo who happened to acquire a few coins for resale, well, it is not out of the question that this somehow could have been an honest mistake or mix-up.

17. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

If this was just some shmo selling items they were unfamiliar with I doubt they would know enough to picture a good set yet send something worth less. I would think someone with no coin knowledge would simply picture the exact item.

18. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Ebay

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would just do the return and leave no feedback.

20. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

This listing looks like the blue holder...

Ebay

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would likely supply a negative feedback since it was a bait and switch. If you're feeling super nice, you can give neutral and explain why.

Draft saved Draft deleted