eBay buyer trying to fraud me. Please help!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinKeeper, Jan 9, 2010.

1. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Hi,

I sold an item on eBay, the buyer paid, and I sent the item with a tracking number, delivery confirmation, and insurance. The tracking information said it arrived, but the buyer is claiming the package did not! He opened a dispute case claiming it did not arrive, and is demanding a full refund.

What should I do?

Will eBay/PayPal take my side or his? That is what I'm most worried about.

Please respond, thanks,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I had an incident where a package from Heritage (with delivery confirmation) said delivered, but it never was; so it is possible the buyer is telling the truth. Delivery Confirmation is practically useless. Luckily you have insurance, call up your post office and ask to speak with the manager and tell him the problem, because there is a chance paypal will side with the buyer.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

This is a problem that i faced many times as a seller on e-bay buyer,s
    Trying to get over on you, To help prevent this always get signature
    Confirmation not just delivery confirmation!! It will lessen the fraud!

5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

All good suggestion in here, also provide the tracking number to eBay and they should side with you on the issue. Also, since it was insured, the post office will be able to give you a copy of the signature of the person that signed for it.

6. CoinKeeper

I provided the tracking number in the dispute, and before to the buyer just after I shipped the item.

Also, the buyer claims the item is "substantially different" than described and how is this possible when he hasn't received the item??

7. coins-auctioned

coins-auctioned Junior Member

Paypal which is owned by Ebay nearly always takes buyers side
    i used to sell on ebay 28,000 feedbacks but their fee sare now to expensive to operate shop
    i lost 99% if disputes with paypal over the year
    worst one was guy in UK wo bought his gf pair earrings,we sent signed delivery but he disputed that signature was his
    guess what ?
    paypal refunded his money to him for non delivery

two weeks later i get an email from him saying his GFis wearing some beautiful earrings
    i sent emial to paypal but still didnt get paid
    scammers evreywhere
    that was 4 years ago i hevent forgotten what paypal did,,unethical

Oh im not a fan of these monolpys ebay n paypal:loud: you can hear me ..lol
    to convert our us $ into local Aussie dollars they charge 2.5 % commission
    thats loan shark rates us aussies pay
    banks charge 1% on average
    another day ,,move forward but be carfeul once buyer puts in dispute they do it with others
    wayne

8. CoinKeeper

But I've also heard that PayPal/eBay will side with the seller even though they may be wrong. I know I am right, and I hope eBay feels the same :(

9. Sholom

Sholom retired...

I also sold an item to an eBay buyer, with delivery confirmation, and Post Office said it was delivered, but buyer said she never got it. I ended up sending her another item.

And, get this: the next day, she emailed me to tell me that she just received the original (apparently, the Post office had stuck it in the wrong box!). I was impressed enough by her honesty that I told her to just go ahead and keep both items. (I felt lucky because I got a good price on an item that hardly cost me anything, and I had 6 or 7 of them).

Here's the best part. She insisted on paying me full price for the second item, too.

OK, I'm not saying that this is like your case. And there certainly are plenty of ebay scammers out there. But that's not the only part of the picture.

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I hear ya', I didn't see your second post about the buyer saying it was "substantially different", that definitely seems like he/she's gotten the package and is trying to scam you.

I would say file the claim with the post office for the insurance. I would also contact the buyer and see how cooperative they are, because you're going to need their side of the story to file for the insurance.

11. coins-auctioned

coins-auctioned Junior Member

My experience was once buyer had claim submitted with papal with OUT contacting us first there was high probability of refund or to have another claim 3-6 months later:crying:
    So once claim filed we blocked or never shipped to that address again.

yes innocent legit buyers can be blocked but our percentage of fraud claim reduced dramatically
    today if legit buyer dose not receive they should contact seller direct first instead of placing claim with paypal

So buyers should contact seller and these claims are nearly always resolved
    Its buyer who claims paypal system and do not contact seller who in most of our cases a unreasonable buyer and these are ones we block .Luckily there are not as many of these buyers asi n the past
    Communication is key from day one

12. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

It's been my experience that if delivery confirmation is used, and paypal verifies the tracking and subsequent time of delivery (even if delivered to the wrong address, which can and does happen), paypal will side with the seller, as it SHOWS delivered. It then becomes a USPS insurance issue, which can take 6 months.

As long as you follow the cardinal rule paypal puts forth...delivery confirm, or signature confirm (over $250), you are set 99% of the time.

13. charlienorth

charlienorth Junior Member

You'll be fine.

You can prove delivery which can be verified online. That meets paypals rules.

Now the seller can either fess up to receivung the package or lie to USPS postal inspectors. Few have the guts (or stupidity) to do that.

14. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

When I sell through eBay (increasingly seldom) I get Delivery Confo on items less than $250, Signature Confo on items over $250. On my own website I have Signature Confo on everything. It's still cheaper without paying the ridiculous eBay fees. But usually a Delivery Confo will let you win the dispute via PayPal. That has been my experience on the few disputes I have had from buyers.

15. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

You have done everything right, Covered buy YOUR PayPal Contract.
    If yo lose it is done buy a low level agent, Call PayPal and they can escalate you and Change the case back to your favor.

I had that scammer say that my unopened bank boxes were broken open during shipment.. 3 boxes in a Flat rate box makes that impossible, and also said the rolls were opened and searched.. (LP1/LP2/LP3.. Why Would I?)
    I wrote back and Told him I had Pictures of the Boxes and Packing... Explained how it COULD NOT happen the way he said..
    It scared him away..
    In that Case I think I was lucky.. PayPal Might have hit me on that one..
    On others when I can Prove shipping.. Only had one issue where the guy said that he only got 12 Silver Mercs when I sent 15.. Packaged had opened he said.. as A good seller I sent him 4 More at my cost.. Now have a steady customer,
    Sometimes we win.. sometimes lose.. Keep Buyers Happy.. Don't Lie, Steal, Cheat and you will win more then not.

Cheers and good Luck....
    (See how nice I can be after my Coffee.. More!!!)

16. eagleroll

eagleroll Junior Member

Never never sell any items to Italy, because

most items will be lost or 2 to 5 months delivery, then the buyer file the dispute.

17. CoinKeeper

Success! eBay customer support closed the case in my favor. Take that scammer! :)

18. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Glad it worked out :thumb:.

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Glad it worked out. I just read last night over on coinzip where the place Clembo works had paypal rule against them and I believe he had signature confirmation.

20. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Congratulations! The good guy still wins once in a great while.:)

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

As a former ebay seller you hit the nail right on the head:loud:

Draft saved Draft deleted