Ebay Buyer thoughts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tater, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm not sure the best title for this thread so I apologize if its misleading. I have an auction out on ebay with a buy it now and best offer. I have received a decent best offer and almost accepted it but the buyer only had a 33 feedback score. I thought I better look at it and when it did it was below 90%. clicked on the negative feed back and he had received the negatives as a seller on three different transactions. I checked his feedback as a buyer and it was perfect. So where I'm the seller I am curious what you folks would do accept the offer or not. It is on a coin that I would like to sell. I received an offer last week for a few dollars more but I was out of town and away from my computer and missed it. I don't need to sell but I would like the 500 bucks to shop for some other numismatic goodness.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Well, a buyer cannot receive a negative feedback, only a seller can. So really his feedback as a buyer is pointless. I can't really give you any advise on what to do though. I generally look at feedback LEFT by the potential buyer, not feedback received.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Andy Herkimer

Andy Herkimer Active Member

Look at his feedback left for others, if he left any negatives, then avoid. Other than that, your call.

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

How many of his total feedback score is from selling? I'd also take into account things such as if all those 3 neg's came from the same person? But if he's only got say 12 selling FB and 3 are negative I'd be wary if they're from separate buyers. Did he comment on the negatives at all?

6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I would guess you are more likely to have problems with a buyer if you're selling a raw coin vs. a certified coin. Even if you have a return policy, buyers still won't be pleased if they have to do it. If a buyer has left negative feedback in the past, it's important to know the circumstances. If its against known flakey sellers (ones that have been ID'd in forums or have lots of negative feedback), then it shouldn't be held against them. Legitimate sellers should applaud buyers who go after unethical sellers. Doing so makes for a better market for the ethical sellers.
    Cal

Jhowi001 likes this.
  7. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

I would pass, he could easily be a trouble buyer but a lot of seller leave reviews immediately after purchase not after the transaction has been complete. If he returned the item you would never know. I would play it safe and keep on waiting for a better buyer.

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

All of his negative is from selling. Here I'm the seller. And yes three people left negative but one left more than one where it appeared they purchased several things at once.

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a toss up then as I'm sure every seller has dealt with a crazy buyer at some point that just isn't happy unless you give them everything and not everyone will do that. Although from multiple people may be iffy, do the buyers state the reasons why they were unhappy? And did you look at the feedback he has left for sellers when buying? Sometimes that can tell you more than just there buying feedback as can't really leave a buyer a negative but you can see how they treat sellers. I'm all for a sale but Ebay can and does screw sellers over sometimes so I'd just go with your gut on this one and take every precaution to protect yourself if you do sell it to that buyer.

10. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

What's your reluctance to accept his bid? If you accept it and he pays you the money then what have you lost?

11. Andy Herkimer

Andy Herkimer Active Member

PayPal are very swift to refund buyers for any reason they see fit. Leaving the seller out of pocket.
    Horror story's are easily googled.

Tater likes this.
  12. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

That's because most people don't manage their accounts very well, if at all. I have my paypal account tied to a separate checking account. As soon as a payment is made to me I transfer the money from paypal to that checking accocunt and then from there to my regular account. If I'm using paypal to buy, I transfer money from my regular account to the paypal checking account, then paypal can tap that account to finish the payment.

Draft saved Draft deleted