Ebay auction order cancelled

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wxcoin, May 9, 2022.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I had it happen to me one time. I won the bid on an AU-58 1909 S VDB Cent, but the seller never responded. eBay honored my complaint and refunded the total amount plus shipping. Upset but happy in the end.

Revello and wxcoin like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, if both parties can be reasonable, it can lead to a good working relationship.

I've nabbed obviously-mistaken new BIN listings from time to time, and immediately messaged the seller suggesting that they cancel the sale. Usually they're appreciative. Once or twice I've been unable to convince them that I wasn't trying to rip them off. A few times they've gone ahead and honored the sale.

I've also bought a BIN listing (during the peak of the 2011 silver explosion) where it was a big and poorly-described lot, the price seemed low but reasonable, and I figured it was worth a gamble. It shipped the same day. Later that night, the seller started blasting me with emails about how it was her daughter who'd listed it at the wrong price, any honest person would realize that she couldn't possibly have meant to list it at that price, etc, etc. I actually ended up sending here a little more money, but it was probably the wrong thing to do; the lot wasn't all that.

wxcoin likes this.
  4. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

This has happened to me. Bid on and won a good looking 1892 CC Dollar. Paid and waited. Two days later my order was cancelled along with a refund. Offered no substitution or offer of any kind and the only communication was the refund without explanation. I emailed and questioned the seller, thru eBay and they claimed that they lost the coin so refunded my money and I should be happy. So, I provided feedback asking how they could not find the coin when they clearly had it when they took the photo for the listing. I was immediately blocked. Experience tells me that they didn't get the price they were hoping for and cancelled the order and lied about it. I fear this happens far too often.

wxcoin likes this.
  5. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I like it when someone "owns" their mistake and makes good on it. When I've done it I consider it the cost of the lesson.

wxcoin and MIGuy like this.
  6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

It's been a few months ago that there was a listing for a Morgan wrapped set for sale. I bought it for the price he listed it for. I only saw the ends, so I probably got out clean. Anyway, I used PayPal and waited for the delivery for 2+ months with no delivery. I got up with the seller, and he sent a refund. He apologized for being late and the Morgans were still listed. I probably shouldn't have done it, but I gave as good a recommendation as I felt he deserved (Probably would rate a F1) I did get my money before I gave my recommendation. Of all the purchases I have made on ebay for the last 10 years, I was lucky that I only had one that I would consider Fair.
    (By the way, they are still listed as of last week.

wxcoin likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I periodically check to see if the coin in my original post gets relisted. So far it hasn't but I noticed that most of his starting bids since then have been very high and get no bids. My guess is that my winning bid wasn't high enough for him. Either two things probably happened. He didn't want to sell it at that price or someone after the auction messaged him with an offer higher than my winning bid.

I always wondered how many times a seller gets an offer for a coin after an auction completes for an item the person either didn't bid on or purposely didn't want to get into a bidding war on, hoping the winning bid was low. Then they could make an offer higher than the winning bid but probably lower than if they kept bidding. For the coin that I won, the hammer price was below my max bid.

8. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

I had one cancelled after I won it and it was reported as counterfeit; the listing was removed and the transaction cancelled...

Draft saved Draft deleted