Ebay auction - IKE 1972 Type II???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FHDave, Mar 6, 2008.

1. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Wow, my second new thread in one day. A new record for me!!!

Obviously I like to collect IKEs. I was looking at a different IKE 1972 Type II auction on Ebay and from the pictures supplied, I don't think either coin is a type II.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-TYPE-II-Ei...ryZ11981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you scroll down and look at the pictures the seller provides for the obverses, the middle on the right looks like a type I to me. The bottom right obverse looks like a type III to me.

From the pictures I've seen on variouse IKE sites, the type II should have the islands be almost non-existent (more like indentations compared to the type I and III). Plus the coast line of the US is flat on the type II, both of these appear to be raised, also indicative of the type I & III coins.

Am I wrong here? When I questioned the seller, he asked me what I thought he had, so I told him type I & III, he has not responded to that yet.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

He might have a type two. He needs much better scans/pictures to make a more accurate evaluation.

4. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

:cool:FHDave -
    I like collecting IKEs as well and have put together an entire set except for a type II. My own personal thought/opinion is that if you are going to invest in a type II, I would want it certified. I am not a slab collector, but this is one coin that would be the exception. This is for two reasons - first and the most obvious, you would be guarenteed (for the most part) the coin you are expecting. I would search for a PCGS or NGC graded coin - of course the ones i have seen on ebay usually command a premium and tend to sell for above list. The coin is still affordable and can easily be obtained... I'm just not going to pay above list. Second, it wouldn't fit into my Whitman book. I have a Whitman Deluxe holder which provides three extra slots for "varieties". I filled one slot with a type III and the other two slots with both the UNC and Proof 1990 Commem coins. I saw this on ebay and thought it looked great. Adding these coins, I felt, really completed the set. My two cents.... for what its worth. :cool:

5. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

You WAY need to see it in person. Unless you've got an AMAZING close-up scan of that 1972 Ike, there is NO WAY I would invest in it.

That's it.

6. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Hey!!! There is hope for Ebay sellers being actually concerned with accuracy!

Message on auction: "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing."

So kudos to "rts109" for honesty. He relisted the coins as the Type I and Type III they actually are.

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree with Pocket Change. You really need to see the coin before you buy it. If I were you I would look for one at a coin show rather than on eBay.

8. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

I've been looking for one of these at coin auctions for over a year. Have not found one yet. It appears that the dealers in the Mass. area are not big on Ikes!

I do keep hoping that I'll find one that a dealer has overlooked, but so far, no luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted