Ebay and my rookie mistakes, feeling discouraged.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gdobie, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Well, glad you found us, @Gdobie ! Not that it's good to learn a lesson that will cost you but it happens to a lot of us and learning from it only gets you more cemented into this great hobby! I purchased an 1895 O Morgan dollar at an auction, thinking I would be able to flip it for at least a $100. I wasn't new to collecting but new to learning! I bought the coin without really checking it out and low and behold there was a nice big scratch on the obverse. I still made about $20 on the coin however it could have been much worse AND I learned my lesson. A lot of folks on here gave me some great advice and it's been a great road ever since! Welcome to Coin Talk! (P.S. you can buy those fancy boxes, empty on ebay as well!)

Gdobie and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have a complete set of ASE's and a bunch extra. They look good to me and none of them are certified. Grade = Good Eye Appeal

Collecting Nut and Santinidollar like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I also have a set in a CAPS album. Same grade as yours.

5. Inspector43

Mine are in a DANSCO. I've been considering CAPS. What do you think about yours? Easy to use and store?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just a small observation, but why not consider putting such a set together in 'raw' fashion? You can assemble such for a fraction of what the graded items go for, and there really ain't much difference between the two. Just the label and the plastic. If you are a true collector, the fact of significance remains. Don't drink the bloody Kool Aid. Save a ton of money............It all boils down to the fact that most folks consider these coins 'bullion' and as such, they'll never fetch a premium............

Vess1, Gdobie and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Inspector43

I think that is why the US Mint keeps issuing special editions and sets. To keep the interest up and get new collectors to seek out past issues. A money game they play.

Gdobie likes this.
  8. Gdobie

Gdobie New Member

Glad I did too :). Thanks for the feedback!

Bambam8778 likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

I love the Caps album. Takes more room but it’s not hard to handle at all. Here are a couple of pics from mine.

2FC81098-A2D5-4C8C-9A60-98D54BEB99C1.jpeg
    96B24E61-9839-4A37-9F3F-28009E21CE8C.jpeg
    5F81794A-99EB-4689-BC70-BBD9CA6F81F7.jpeg

green18, Vess1, Inspector43 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Gdobie likes this.
  11. Inspector43

Gdobie likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Capsules are separate. Thanks!

Gdobie likes this.
  13. Inspector43