eBay account permanently suspended

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hiddendragon, Mar 3, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depends what you have. eBay is still the best for cheap coins and many world coins, but the great collections fees are now lower on more expensive coins and about the same for coins with value. They’d be a good place to check out. Instagram is good if you can build up a following. Facebook, but I’d make a separate profile for selling. The other selling sites like eBay are pretty dead overall though besides things like IG and FB

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

To me CT is for knowledge, sharing opinion, and helping others. I would not even consider buying or selling on CT. My thought and opinion only. Be safe

4. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

There are some excellent sellers here, including some of our most informed long term members, you should always be careful, but here is a good option. I often check the sales here, and have purchased from other members.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Coins were previously 10% like everything else, with PayPal adding 2.9%. Now, eBay charges 12.35%, but there's no PayPal fee on top of it.

If you've got a store, coin FVFs were 6.2%. I don't remember what it went up to, but it was basically 6.2% + 2.9%, minus a tiny fraction so they could say "the new fees cost you less".

It ticks me off, but then again, I remember when FVFs were 2% or less.

6. baseball21

Theres an eBay fee on top for their payment system. I didn’t check close enough to see if the store went up too since that doesn’t matter to me.

Books and movies went up to almost 15 percent. I get fees will rise over time but that was a rather drastic jump all at once instead of phasing it in more year by year. They’re approaching close enough to Amazon fees where it’s almost worth it to pay a little more and sell there since at least Amazon will do the work for it

philologus_1 likes this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I haven't seen anyone mentioning Proxibid.
    I bought from them once but haven't tried to sell through them.
    I'll have to go back and investigate.

8. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I agree with johnmilton, you've admitted that you got away with it for quite awhile, now you seem to be complaining because you finally got caught. Be thankful that e-Bay did not suspend your other accounts, and hopefully, you won't try to cheat the system in the future.

9. baseball21

He wasn't cheating the system, he was just selling off a different account than he buys from. He didn't do anything wrong. He either got reported for no reason or he listed to much for a new account and they flagged it.

What he should have done is sell off his established account and used the new account for buying

serafino likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are some limits on buying and selling you can read or have already in the classified forums. The warnings are because there are/have been members who have charged other members have taken advantage of them and did not settle. The forum does not monitor the exchanges ( except to limit the length of time a offering can be listed) nor does it accept any blame for losses or lawsuits~ you are on your own. That said there are many here that I would trust to complete an exchange with no problems. Its the big gold/silver deals that have had the most losses over time.

Jim

Penny Luster likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I would have no problem buying or selling on this site, but it's a much smaller pool of people so as a buyer you have to hope someone is selling just what you want and that you see it before someone else gets it. As a seller you have to hope someone is looking for what you're selling. When I've looked at the listings I find a lot of them are overpriced, and when I've tried to sell things I've never had a nibble.

As for the other auction sites, you might find something for really high end coins but if you have more low value stuff good luck. Once upon a time I tried Webstore. I looked at it recently and I think the number of coin listings was in the thousands, which likely means few customers as well. No way anyone's going to find your stuff on there.

12. Hiddendragon

I don't feel like I was getting away with anything. The policy quoted far above about how you can't use a second account to sell the same kind of item was from an eBay forum post, not an official eBay policy. No one has ever warned me about it. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. So why should I think it's wrong? If they give you 200 free listings that's their choice. It would be better for me if all my listings were on one account - I'd get a lot more orders combining shipping. But the economics don't work out. If they made it easier for me to sell profitably then I'd gladly do it this way. If they can give someone 200 free listings they could give more. My last eBay invoice was for $50, so they're still making plenty off of me. And that's just for one account.

13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have bought coins on ebay and have never had a problem. I've read most of the information on this thread and it seems that it may not have been intended, but if you have several accounts and each account can list 200 items for free? I had thought to list some things with ebay (not coins), but with all of the information on this thread, I don't know who or what to trust on ebay.

dltsrq likes this.
  14. Hiddendragon

Despite my issue here I'm not anti-eBay. It's a good venue to sell things. But it does have some issues. The main being that as a seller you really have no protection. You rely on buyers to be honest and reasonable, and on the postal service to do their job. When they don't, you pay for it.

Idoono and baseball21 like this.
  15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree with you, could be that their "nuclear option" was kind of a warning to you since they let you keep your existing account. Hopefully, they don't bug you anymore! ;)

16. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

It's nonsense that ebay calls themself a community. Just an internet platform for making money. But they have managed to capture customers' preference in certain corners of the marketplace. With all the fees they collect on sales and shipping, the listings should be free.

Hiddendragon and masterswimmer like this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

When a 'community' has a stock ticker symbol they cease to be a community. When the board of directors answers to their shareholders they cease to be acting for the betterment of the 'community'.

You can't slap lipstick on a pig and expect it to win a beauty pageant. Just because eBay has a massive following doesn't mean it should be classified as a community. That following is their customer base.

Penny Luster and Chris Winkler like this.
  18. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

There's a reason why eBay is the biggest marketplace for buying and selling coins. It's far from perfect but it's my favorite place to buy coins.

imrich likes this.
  19. james fitch

james fitch New Member

Yea, eBay is a corporate dollar bill with friends that can take away your happy things because power is what feeds us tax crops and socially engineered projects called citizens. Lmao, I can share with me how to make another account eBay won't find out about so I can make a living again, and i'l.p. give my remaining life to see that you never gave to search for toilet paper again cause I'l.p. always be there for you I was suspended for something I shouldn't have done and I admit I was in the wrong saying what I said to somebody being deliberately antagonistic and I fell fir it and got suspended. Then they got my affiliates too and I lost 1500 income and was divorced. Moved back in with my dad now. So yea, if there's something unfair about ebay, it's the ability to hold your livelihood in peril and make sure you're literally sucking Richard for heating money and beer. That's a joke....see I can still try to joke, well say I am joking when i'm a male prostitute in Cleveland thanks to eBay's need to feed the demons of he'll fresh souls. But yea, I can live without the wife but one more week without bidding on Uncleaned coin lots and why the he'll not jump off a bridge? Can't sell my reality or create a counts to be able to maintain a marriage so why not random suspensions for whatever they like. Just tell me there's a way to get back to making rent without looking forward to he'll a bonus scene to how eBay destroys people like we are just names on screens when our lives depend on the use bids paying our gd car payments Fok!! Anyway good luck man. Hope you figure it out and somehow you can hurt eBay like it's done you. As for me, I am hanging in there and its not as bad as it sounds, but i'l.p. be dead this time next year if I have to create another new PayPal cant just to be payable and there's just 2 more emails I know but out of addresses. Sounds like you got things figured out so if I were you i'd only bring it up when you hold your breath swimming. Lol it could be worse. She my life with a pm detailing what I need to do to get back on there by the 8th or thats a wrap n forget I asked lol <--(completely forced that lol for the web of lies makes smiles hard to manufacture when in a state of hoping God is real I he or she can kill me. Hahaha fake laugh. Need that info thanks and good luck. ;)

(That smiley face was a lookalike)

20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

21. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

"You can't slap lipstick on a pig and expect it to win a beauty pageant."

So you dont't think I'm pretty?
    lipstick-on-a-pig_466562_1.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted