eBay 1943 OBW Penny Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Citamyoc, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Citamyoc

Citamyoc New Member

I was curious if anyone had thoughts ob buying anything like the following "1943-P OBW" as I am a newbie on this. It is marked as OBW but not sure if this is authentic or reprocessed etc.

LINK

Appreciate any thoughts on seller or just in general if this is something to avoid as this person has sold a lot of these things.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Uh, no. It's a sucker's bet.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The mirroring in the photo says to me it has been reprocessed.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I'll preface this by saying I have never purchased from this person..... But the photo screams "BAIT" to me....

6. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Well, I would surely trust them--seeing they they leave their GEM BU cents in piles :(

Attached Files:

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, I have never bought from him, as he seems to focus on rolls (hence, his name) which I do not generally look for.

That said, in the last 12 months, he has over 1,300 positive feedbacks with only 6 neutral & 1 negative.

So.....? :happy:;)

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Citamyoc

Citamyoc New Member

I am curious why someone would get so many positive reviews while selling something like this. My gut tells me that something seems questionable. However, I am simply surprised why the seller gets no negative feedback. I have followed these rolls for a while as I like the idea of owning one and people certainly seems to bid all day one them.

"Pickin and Grinin" is probably right that they are reprocessed.

9. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Most likely reprocessed.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Why do you need 50 of them? If they were OBW, how could he resist opening to see if he could find a copper one, or at least a few 66s or 67 to make up the difference. He knows or strongly suspects what is there, IMO. Jim

LA_Geezer likes this.
  11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I found a 1943P in a CoinStar machine the other day. Quite a coincidence, I think, to see this thread. The one I found might be VG++ or even F, but nothing close to the GEM coins this seller has for $6.99. My guess is that I will never find another 1943 in my change or in a CoinStar ever again. Though the coin was free, the incidence was notable.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Citamyoc

Citamyoc New Member

If 1 is good 50 is better?

I am just curious now why this person never gets negative reviews when so many signs point to this being questionable.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The absence of negative reviews is not necessarily a good indicator since ebay has a mechanism whereby bogus sellers can get them expunged. Papas_Pouch or the clones like NoazArk, etc. don't have 100%, but there's is very high considering they malign customers and supposedly report them to the police. I have made bids on these type items with high grade Indian Cent ends, and they always go too high. I think the people who order this stuff are just really tickled they got a bunch of "really old coins" for what they considered "cheap".

LA_Geezer and NOS like this.
  14. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Check out this lot of a "Near Complete" set of wheat cents from the seller in question. The pictures are horrendous, what with the key date 1909S being quite blurry (among others). I'd say this is by design and it makes one wonder what the buyer actually received.

Speaking of feedback, the buyer left positive feedback and states that the "coins are very nice". Unfortunately, there is no way to delve deeper and see if the buyer is a real collector or just a shill due to eBay's (corrupt) anonymizing of buyers. I will say that the way this feedback is written is dubiously similar to how another so-called buyer writes their feedback almost immediately above this buyer ("coins were as pictured"):

Dubious.png

15. Vince11229

Vince11229 Well-Known Member

Enticing but I wouldn’t trust anyone selling these “unsearched” rolls online. To me it screams unscrupulous. Maybe it’s just me but if I wanted to spend $158 bucks on coin I’d want better assurance of what I was buying. Let’s be careful out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted