Easy to identify a Cheerios Fine Detailed

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dennis5151, Sep 14, 2022.

1. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

I am no "expert" but....

To start, there were both detailed and non-detailed Cheerios Dollars. Numbers of each variety at this time are unknown.

A fine detailed dollar is also called: a Pattern, a Prototype, a Regular Cheerios Strike, a FS 902 variety, a 1999 2000 P, a First Run or Test Run, and other terms. Take your choice, the grading companies have. All terms can, has and will be argued.

When looking at a poor quality picture like I usually provide; look for the tell-tell "Long Fancy sideways Y" on the obverse.

It is located just under the leg, it opens to the rear, it is very wide and long, very distinct. The bottom of the Y is formed by the lower edge of the bottom tail feather, the top curves downward just under the leg. It looks a bit like the slim head and long open beak of a flying bird.

Can you see it? If not, then ask someone with a better imagination to help you.

This "y" distinction is not on the post die modification business strike coins.

The die modification not only removed this "Y" but also removed the two tiny obverse flaws, smoothed out the reverse fine details in the tailfeathers and truncated the feet a bit and other minor changes.

I always first look for this distinct "Long Fancy sideways "Y" when viewing a potential circulated and worn coin. The distinct top of the "Y" usually survives wear due to being protected by the leg.

I am borrowing the attached picture showing pre-modification and post die modification. Cheerios-Sacagawea-Dollar.jpg

You are welcome. I almost hurt my arm by patting myself on the back. Now open for criticism and opinions.

-jeffB, Spark1951 and Insider like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:facepalm: Please change your post to REVERSE for those of us :confused: who cannot find a leg under the "Y" of "Liberty."

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    -jeffB likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I thought we were looking for the enhance tail feathers. Go figure.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It is the "Y" at the base of the tail feathers. Let's see if it is on other coins. The OP says no.

6. Pickin and Grinin

I see it now.

7. dennis5151

8. Pickin and Grinin

There are a bunch of Y's to look for in that photo.
    upload_2022-9-20_23-26-34.jpeg

9. dennis5151

The important Y is indicated by the blue arrow. Your Y is insignificant, it is not on the fine detailed variety. So why look at your y? Is this a war of Y's? If so, then Why? I guess we need to agree to just look for the head of a flying bird, beak open. Can you see the eye in the bird's head? Looks like the bird has an over-bite when the beak is closed. The bird's head even has a jaw line. Can you see the invisible alien spaceship hovering above the bird's head? LOL. Remember, it is what is not there that matters.
    [​IMG]

Clawcoins likes this.
  10. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

A great hub difference that I never noticed! Congratulations on being the first to spot it!

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I don't have a Cheerios dollar but I have this General Mills 1998 Nagono Olympics medal! These came in a cereal box as well... DSCN4854~2.JPG DSCN4855~2.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted