eastern coin and its value

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DomitLover, Jan 18, 2019.

1. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

Hi All

Does anyone knows the value and identification of this gold coin? I appreciate any help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

It looks like an Umayyad dinar of about 720-740.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

Thanks what is king name and year minted? also what is market value?

5. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

The left picture, the right side of the circular text, there you can find the date and in the middle at the lower side is the mint. I can't quite read it I'm afraid.

6. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

thanks lets see.. maybe someone here knows these and can decipher it for me :)

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you might find 1 that looks simular to yours on Ebay. type Umayyad dinar and see what comes up. I am not home so I can not look for you.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm not very familiar with Islamic coins so I am not much help. good luck.

9. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

This is an early Umayyad gold dinar, these do not have a ruler or mint city listed on the coin (though they were almost certainly struck at Damascus). The year is spelled out in the margin of the reverse, I can make out the first part "tis' wa" "Nine and" but the last word is harder, maybe "themanin" "eighty" so year 89 AH. The date can't be earlier than 77 AH, and I don't see the word for one hundred, "mi'at" (which is pretty distinctive and I could probably recognize), so either 79, 89 or 99 AH is almost certain. Hopefully someone who actually reads Kufic-script Arabic can help.

Pavlos and Ryro like this.
  10. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

Thanks all I am so new to this area and I bought this from a local dealer in NYC show for 1000 USD is that right price? I am hoping I am not ripped off :(

11. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

I have no idea if that is much or not since I know nothing about that time era. But question, you say you are "so new to this area", then why do you spend 1000 USD on a coin knowing nothing about it? Wouldn't it had been wiser you were first reading and familiarizing yourself with such type of coins? Also, looking on previous auctions for indication of a price. I also don't understand you spend 1000 USD on a coin and you don't even know the identification of it? I'm really confused... anyway goodluck

spirityoda, Orielensis and Ryro like this.
  12. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

I just wanted to have an example of eastern coin which is golden so that is why I got this one

13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I think its an
    AV Dinar / Caliph Abd al-Malik 685-705AD
    MS examples go for 600-800US
    Umayyad Caliphate

14. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

Thanks for help. so then 1000 is high but not too far away

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Some of this Caliphs AV Dinars went for 300 EF/ 400 Ch-EF/ MS go double that. Some Umayyad coins go for over million US.

spirityoda likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I totally agree with @Pavlos. If I were to spend $1000 on a gold coin. I would get to know everything about that coin first. I would have that seller write down every detail about that coin Name/date/grade. I would have done my own homework on finding out what your coins grade go for on the market before paying $1000 on a coin. I hope you now know to do research on your next coin buying experience. You overpaid by way to much. At the end of the day you learned an expensive lesson. You coin is a very interesting looking coin. We learn as we go. We all have paid to much for a coin once in awhile.

17. DomitLover

DomitLover New Member

Thanks Yoda. So what is it worth you think? How much I paid over? I actually did a research online a bit, and saw some of these sold around 600-800 so I told him and he said that his coin is authentic and good condition so it is high price and the one's that cheaper either bad condition or fake . That was his reasoning so I kind of believed him unfortunately because as I said I am not expert on this and have no other opinion at the time :(

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

as @panzerman said "Some of this Caliphs AV Dinars went for 300 EF/ 400 Ch-EF/ MS go double that. Some Umayyad coins go for over million US." I am not sure what your coins grade is ??? guessing your coin is XF-AU. so I am guessing $500-800.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted