Easter GTG

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

SMS coins are lumped in with proofs. Can get cameo designations but not FS.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Still never seen FS on any SMS...only close. They get an MS designation, not a PF.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Fried, just a little lighter than Medium.
    Especially, for the Fried Egg sandwich.
    No miracle whip, Just old fashioned Mayo.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Even though you are right, With nearly zero of the SMS coins able to get the FS designation I am with @chascat I haven't seen a SMS eith full steps. Not sure why @Lehigh96 is in hiding.
    I like having his expertise when it comes to Jeffersons.

chascat likes this.
  6. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I just meant they are graded like proofs with CAM & DCAM or UC and the FS desg. is not used. Not that I have ever seen anyway.

7. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. My apologies. They do get FS. E92EDFAA-5391-4F69-855B-870BA4DFC688.jpeg

8. chascat

The coins in question were the 65, 66, and 67s. They were struck from polished and acid dipped business strike dies. No care was taken and there was no special handling done on these. Many have cameo contrast, but the bottom steps detail was polished away leaving the upper three or four steps as full. This was explained by Rick Tomaska a few years back in one of his TV presentations.

Pickin and Grinin and Lem E like this.
  9. Lem E

Lem E Well-Known Member

Appreciate the info. This got me diving in a little deeper. Seems like the SMS grading has done a bit of a flip flop from the 60s versions to the 05 and up. Guess I should say 06 and up. No more CAM designations on the newer ones but FS is used. Thanks for the help @chascat.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  10. chascat

I just remembered my book written by Tomaska in 1991 called "Cameo and brilliant proof coinage of the 1950 to 1970 era". This paragraph re: the 1966 SMS nickel may help shed some light..."The typical 1966 Jefferson nickel, like the larger denominations of this year, tend to be of higher quality when compared to the SMS nickels of the previous year. Most exhibit proof-like mirrors and are fairly attractive. Most also exhibit some weakness in the high point detail. Typically, the lower part of Jefferson's jawbone will be pitted, and some of the steps of Monticello on the reverse will not be struck up." I hope this may help.

Lem E likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted