East India Company Mohur 1841 - Is it a problem coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alexthegreat, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Alexthegreat

Alexthegreat Active Member

Hey guys,
    today I want to show you a type of coin I had an eye on for a long time.[​IMG] It is a Mohur that was struck by the East India company in 1841. The obverse shows a young head Queen Victoria. The reverse shows a lion
    My main collecting area are german gold coins, but I collect attractive world coins as well. I found this Mohur on a german coin website for a price of 2350 Euro. It has not much rub, but the surfaces have scratches. What would be the grading of this coin? Would it achieve a numeric grade or is it just an ,,au cleaned''?

Thank you very much!
    Greetings from Germany [​IMG]
    Alex

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that gold is not my area at all. With that said, I think the numerous scratches on the obverse would prevent it from a straight grade. If submitted to either NGC or PCGS, it is likely to warrant a details grade. It is still a very nice coin!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    panzerman likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't think it was cleaned, but there are some pretty serious scratches on the obverse, especially around the date. I think this coin would come back with AU details, scratched.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I collect only gold coinage. Here is a German graded fast stempelglanz I bought from Wag Auction/ I would say Kunker would grade it sehr schon+/vorzg. US TPG slab=EF-45 IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0702.JPG

Seattlite86, Marsyas Mike and Chris B like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted