Earth deposits - to wash or leave?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SwK, May 30, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

To wash or leave an untouched coin? that is the question. Marcus-Aurilius-obv+rev.jpg
    Marcus Aurelius AD 169 - AD 170
    Bronze Roman Imperial Sestertius AD December 169
    Head of Marcus Aurelius, laureate, right
    OBV: Head of Marcus, laureate, r. Leg: M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXIIII (l. up, r. down, As unbarred) REV: Marcus, in military dress, on horse pacing r., holding transverse spear. In front, soldier, helmeted, standing front, holding transverse spear and shield. Behind, three soldiers, helmeted, standing r., two holding aquilae and one holding spear. Leg: COS III (above) PROFECTIO AVG SC (in two lines in exergue)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Leave it. Those deposits contrast nicely with the patina. She is a beauty as is.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Stunning coin! I say leave the deposits.

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I would leave it alone. Once you start cleaning it you never know how it will turn out. I have cleaned 100s of ancients and it is always something of a crap shoot.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Cleaning the small deposits will leave a coin that will be questioned as possibly smoothed. The scatter makes it look legitimate. As i is there is a place behind the head that looks like the cleaning went too deep. It is easy to go too far.

Nicholas Molinari and Sallent like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I believe in leaving it. Unless it's something truly drastic. I like to think it adds character and many of times, attractiveness.

The OP coin is lovely!

8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Awesome Awesome Awesome - Dont touch it.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I think it is probably unanimous. Leave it as is!!

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what everyone else said!

great looking coin!

11. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

I agree. Unless there is bronze disease, I say leave it. Easy to mess up a great coin and if doing no harm, it does not detract from the coin at all.

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

It's an ancient coin, it should look ancient. Leave it as is.

Hispanicus and Ancientnoob like this.
  13. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I would also say leave it as it is, the earth deposits provide a description of a part of the coins history, and eye appeal.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I wouldn't clean it but I would carefully inspect the light green spots. They look a bit powdery. Hope I'm wrong. If powdery (bronze disease), I'd soak the coin in distilled water, lightly brush or pick at the BD spots, dry well, and treat with Verdicare. Store the coin with a desiccant or in an otherwise humidity-controlled environment, and check those spots often.

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 4.27.21 AM.jpg

For a coin of this caliber it may be best to have a professional conservator do any treating.

15. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Stunning, the deposits highlight it beautifully.

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Its awesome as is

17. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Leave it. Looks cool.

18. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Assuming no bronze disease, I would just leave it alone. I definitely think the earthen look contrast adds value to many ancient bronze coins.

19. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It's still 100%......I'd leave it just as it is!!! It's gorgeous and looks ancient!!!

20. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I would monitor for change first, and only then treat for BD. Sometimes one can remove the powder using dry brushes and treat the cause (humidity) and the BD will never reappear, which has happened with a few of my coins.

Carausius likes this.
  21. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Nice parakeet, does he talk?

Draft saved Draft deleted