Early Empire Silver Denarii Hoard Found In Poland

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Numisnewbiest, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this - it is very interesting. A while back I posted some musings on why there are so many worn Roman denarii on eBay from the Ukraine.

To quote myself: " I did some half-baked Internet research on Roman coins in the eastern Europe hinterlands - and I'm sorry I cannot link a source - I think it was from Google Books. There are a lot of Roman coins found out there in what used to be the hinterlands of the Roman Empire (or just beyond). What I found was that apparently around the turn of the 2nd-3rd centuries, a lot of subsidies were being paid to the barbarians and they would accept only good coin. No silver washed antoninii were accepted - and so the good coin (pre-Severan debasement) drifted outward. A similar process was happening to the East - think a cruddy AE antoninus of Gallienus vs. a big, good silver Sassanid drachm. In short, historically speaking, a lot of silver in Ukraine seems plausible. That this silver is pre-debasement denarii from the Antonines (with a lot of Trajan/Hadrian too) makes sense. It would also explain why very few denarii of the Severans are in these auctions - occasionally so, but not nearly as many as the Antonines. And no cruddy ants. of the Valerian+ era..."

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/need-a-grading-opinion-on-this-commodus.355505/page-2#post-4162628

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Man... there are some times that I really wished that I lived in or traveled often to Europe... such awesome potential for metal detecting finds...!

Numisnewbiest likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted