Early eastern Hadrian denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Sep 25, 2022.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I just had to share this new purchase. As some of you know I like Roman Imperials but with a strong leaning to the Eastern mints when it comes to denarii.

This coin comes from the first eastern issue of Hadrian from Antioch (or Tyre?) mint. Struck August–December AD 117. It celebrates his adoption by Trajan which was made public just before Trajan died.

It is quite an attractive denarius despite areas of legend being slightly off flan. The style is distinctly eastern and quite different in style to the same type from Rome.

Obv:- IMP CAES TRAIAN HADRIANO OPT AVG GER DAC, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from front
    Rev:- PARTHIC DIVI TRAIAN AVG F P M TR P COS P P, Trajan and Hadrian standing vis-à-vis, clasping right hands and each holding a volumen in left; ADOPTIO in exergue.
    References:- RIC II.3 2959; RPC p. 449; RSC 4d; McAlee p. 217; Butcher p. 97, fig. 30, 13 (same dies?); RIC II –; BMCRE 1021

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Nice pick up

4. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Cool... didn't know they also minted these early denarii at Antioch.

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Great coin, @maridvnvm! While I don't have an eastern variant that you share (jealousy implied) here's my relative of this coin which is an early variant from Rome which lacks the word added later in exergue, "ADOPTIO".

My notes on this coin are here: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/transition-of-power
    upload_2022-9-25_21-48-47.png
    Hadrian
    , AD 117-138, AR denarius (18.9mm, 3.32g, 7h), Rome mint, struck AD 117
    Obv: IMP CAES TRAIAN HADRIAN OPT AVG GER DAC, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: PARTHIC DIVI TRAIAN AVG F P M TR P COS P P Trajan presenting globe to Hadrian, each holding scroll
    Ref:RIC II 2c p.338
    Trajan Melqart Tetradrachm Tyre.jpg
    Tyre and a Tyrian Tetradrachm also caught my attention this week in my most recent "note":
    https://www.sullacoins.com/post/purple-of-tyre

Curtis and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted